Shallow Narc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then you are not human.

On the other hand, you may have been narc'd and didn't realize it or dealt with it well, in which case you are perfectly human.

I've really been trying to get narc'd. Part of my sales pitch on Advanced and Deep Specialty is "you can experienced getting narc'd with someone who knows what it's like and can help you work through it!" Yet I actually haven't noticed it before :( Oh well, maybe once I get into tech training I'll get to try it out :D

Some of the comments in this thread give me pause lol, I hope it's sarcasm. I've had co2 narc at 60 ft.

I've really been trying to get narc'd. Part of my sales pitch on Advanced and Deep Specialty is "you can experienced getting narc'd with someone who knows what it's like and can help you work through it!" Yet I actually haven't noticed it before :( Oh well, maybe once I get into tech training I'll get to try it out :D

If you really want to get narc just follow these instructions;

Outside air temp 90-95 F, surface WT 80 F, BT 48F. Now gear up in sufficient thermal, preferably a dry suit. Gear up in a set of doubles, (for drag) and surface swim about 100 yards at a good clip (On or off the reg).

Ready? Now, no rest, do a no reference descend at about 75 fpm to 100-130 feet and start swimming. If you aren't narced yet, you probably aren't human. No cheating, helium in the mix is not allowed.

Another way to become aware is to descent to 130 ffw or so on 18/50 and swim about a bit and then the coup de froid , switch to air. If you don't feel a difference, then again you can't be human.

Safe Diving,

Dale

Martinis Law, every 50' depth increase equal to one martini. Used to be taught in basic scuba classes.

I've never felt narced, but the other day I was telling my buddy my air in bar (my gauge reads psi) and I had to calculate in my head. I had 1800psi, and as an engineer I would normally recognize that as 120bar without a conscious act. At 4 atmospheres though, I actually had to do the math; I'm guessing that was the inert gasses talking.

Reactions: Jax
The first dive of the trip. It could be even less than 20m and not fighting against the current.
I blamed it on tireness because of lack of sleep, tedious travelling etc etc. Everything is back to normal after couple of dives however.
Nitrox or trimix makes no difference.

Stay alert, focus and positive.

I recently had a diver that complained of narc at 25m/82ft. That was the shallowest I've seen. Viz was bad and the water was much darker and cooler that he was used to, coupled with jet lag/tiredness and a lay-off from diving.

I usually start to notice narcosis at around 90'. It's not really debilitating though. I just feel a little fuzzy headed, sometimes a little giddy and excited and sometimes anxiety. As others have mentioned, water temperature and clarity play a big part in whether narcosis is pleasant or scary.

My buddy thew a backup light off the deck of the Spiegel, just "to watch it float down..."
She later *insisted* she wasn't narced...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom