Sharing air & continuing dive???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As long as BOTH divers end the dive with enough air to get BOTH divers to the surface.
...I'll ask again though, any safety concerns if I am down to 1000psi and my buddy has 2400psi, we share air until my budy is down to 1000psi then end the dive??

At 85ft. as in the OP, both divers at 1000psi is not a good idea IMO. If one diver has an equipment failure you are now both going back up on that 1000. With your admitted gas hogging, it's a scenario that wouldn't be too forgiving for anything other than a very direct ascent. Keep in mind, that in an emergency, your gas hogging will change from hoover to F5 tornado and your buddy's great SAC may turn into your original hoover rate. I'm not as experienced as alot of the good folks here, but those are my thoughts.

The only time I want someone breathing from my tank during a dive (instruction not included) is in the case of gear failure or an OOA situation.

In my personal opinion, I think diving such a plan is unwise.

the K

MoS: Simple response to your question is, Yes, it is OK to share air and dive.

Not so simple response: IF your profile is correct, you don't have a lot of diving experience -- less than 100 dives over a three year period -- less than 35/dives/year. Because you write that you are a "hoover" -- and from the difference between your buddy and you it would appear you ARE a hoover -- it is likely your general diving skills are pretty typical of the "casual open water diver." This is NOT intended as a slight but just as a comment.

So what are the diving skills of such a diver -- moderate (at best) buoyancy control, relatively poor horizontal trim (i.e., diving at a 45 (or more) degree angle) and some use of the hands for "stability." IF this does not describe your diving style, please forgive me for the assumptions -- but if it does (at least in part), then before you use the "underwater tank equalization procedures" you really need to get your skills buffed up -- and there is a real reason for this.

When you are diving attached to another person, which is the "underwater tank equalization procedure," both of you need to be able to really control yourselves in the water column. And not only control yourselves with relation to the bottom, but be able to control yourselves with relation to each other. That is very hard to do without good (not moderate) buoyancy control, good trim and/or good stability. If you are connected and swimming along with your buddy and she stops to look at a pretty fishie -- will you be able to stop too or will you swim off and pull the reg out of your mouth? Or what if YOU stop to look -- can she stop too without swimming the reg out? Are the two of you able to maintain your position in the water column within a 2 foot range at all times -- because if not, you will likely put a whole lot of stress on your mouth if she goes down and you go up. Of course an added benefit of having better control of yourself in the water column (better trim, no hand movement) is that you will use much less air yourself!

Why do I know this? Because my buddy (my wife) and I use the "underwater tank equalization procedure" routinely -- at least routinely when diving in the tropics on AL 80's. Even with a 7foot hose on the donated regulator, that doesn't give the two of us (or you) a lot of wiggle room regarding where we are in relation to each other. But, fortunately, our general diving skills are such that we can swim like that for as long as we want -- stopping when we want, going up, going down as we want -- even moving around and taking pictures -- all without thinking about keeping together and without putting a strain on my mouth.

For what it's worth, I would only do this with someone who has a 7foot hose because anything shorter just doesn't give enough freedom of movement for each diver.

Also for what it's worth, when we do this, I'll generally go on her air when we are at the deepest part of the dive (I might have 1800 psi, she'd have 2400) and I'd stay on her tank for five minutes or so -- or until she was down to about 1600 psi. We both ALWAYS have sufficient gas to get us both back to the surface using a standard ascent profile from wherever we might be.

While I respect (well, sort of) people who write that sharing air should only be done in an emergency, I think those people are dead wrong -- and quite frankly I decided NOT to do a DM with an instructor in no small part because that was his thinking. What that showed was a lack of understanding of the overall situation AND a lack of comprehension that it is actually a GOOD thing to periodically share air with your buddy while diving. Why? Because it trains you that sharing air is NOT something special -- it is merely doing "tethered, coordinated flying" through the water -- nothing more, nothing less. Think about it -- IF you routinely share air, swim around, look at the pretty fishies -- how much anxiety would then be generated when your buddy comes over to you and wants to share air "for real?" Probably very little -- you are used to swimming "tied together" so the reason for it is pretty much irrelevant.

I think the reason SOME people think it is such a big deal and should only be done in an emergency is because of two main reasons: a. The gear that is used -- swimming along normally on a 36inch hose is really tough; and b. Most divers, quite frankly, can't control themselves in the water column well enough to "dive in formation" for any length of time. The solution to this is NOT to say -- Don't do it except in an emergency -- but, to the contrary, to have gear that allows one to donate comfortably AND to practice skills such that diving "in formation" becomes trivial.

OP -- work on YOUR skills and then have fun diving in formation and looking at the pretty fishies -- it is a lot of fun.

I agree with Peter. Air share = good thing to do, especially with divers who have been overly indoctrinated that it is some sort of last ditch "oh-my-god-we're-gonna-die!" procedure. I have had several newly minted OW divers who dsiplayed a great deal of air share related anxiety stemming from short hose air sharing in their OW class. But once you get them talked into sharing air during a dive on a long hose (usually as a means to extend their dive time as they tend to be hoovers given all the general anxiety they seem to exhibit) they calm right down and enjoy it.

In many cases their buoyancy improves as well as they are flying in close formation with you and seem to focus more on good buoyancy control.

I think that in some cases (two experienced divers who have done this a lot) it makes sense for the receiving diver to lead as they are not going to do anything stupid to have the reg pulled free. At a minimum who ever leads needs to be aware of the other diver and maneuver accordingly - just like formation flying - and that practice pays big dividends if you ever have to do it for real.

The only time I want someone breathing from my tank during a dive (instruction not included) is in the case of gear failure or an OOA situation.

In my personal opinion, I think diving such a plan is unwise.

the K

An interesting position for an instructor. What is your rational for this?

Well, if one is diving, one should be using one's own gear.

If a diver funs out of air then the proper OOA procedure should be executed.

Now I'll join the vast array of "Whatiffers". What if a reg starts freeflowing and the divers are in this configuration?

I think the scenario, as described, could have gone terribly bad. It just so happens that it didn't.

Just not the way I'd handle the situation. A dive is not that important.

the K

If you are diving with someone whose air consumption is that much better than you and you want to extend your dive time, use twins to their single. Sharing air as part of your dive plan is a bad idea. Losing your equipment redundancy in case of emergency or diver error, because you want to dive longer on your buddy's air, is not a good option. People here, can endorse it and rationalize it any way they wish. It is a poor choice.

I also would not use this procedure to extend a dive. I have dove with some who seem to put air back in the tank but would never consider using their air supply to extend my dive. If you need to get a 30 or 40 cu ft bottle and sling it. Or as ZD said start using twins. Practicing out of air is one thing but to plan a dive using what could be your buddy's reserve is not a good idea. Of course I rarely dive with a regular buddy.

If you are diving with someone whose air consumption is that much better than you and you want to extend your dive time, use twins to their single.

In my case, diving with my wife would take quads for me or her on a small pony. :D

Gary D.

I think it depends a lot on the dive profile and plan. If she is surfacing with 2300 psi while you have less than 500psi, than there is air to share. I would agree with others that indicate to do so early in the dive rather than later. A 7' hose would make this more convenient.

Honestly, I'd think a better solution would be for you to bring down more air. In your situation, that may require more gear than maybe available. The problem with sharing her air is if something goes wrong, and you both need to breath off of your tank, you maybe screwed.

You may consider slinging an AL80 to extend your dive. That is generally not what a slung AL80 is for, but it is an option. BTW, if she surfaced with 2300psi, and you had less than 500psi, and she had 20% less air to begin with, her sac rate is much lower than 1/2 of yours. She used about 700psi in the same time that you used 2500psi and then take into account the tank sizes.

Sharing air is not a horrible thing, but you always need enough for both of you to surface from your max depth on one tank. It never seems like a bad idea to do such things, until something goes wrong. Remember under stress you both will likely use more air. From a simply agency gas planning perspective, yes, this is a bad idea.

IMO if the dive is shallow, not harm, no foul. On deeper dives as you describe in your initial post, planned gas sharing is IMO a dicey proposition. The reality is, if you can not hit the NDL on YOUR air, take more air with you, don't start depending on others.

Back
Top Bottom