Shark and wreck diving in North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lovely video, the shot where you are looking up and the shark is swimming above you was great, I love that perspective.

Are there any Liveaboard charters that dive the outer banks? Love the Dive, Eat, Sleep vacations. There are so many dive sites around that area, I have my eye on for 2023.

I'm not aware of any, but that would be a great option since the boat rides out to the wrecks are LONG. Ninety minutes or so.

I like that shot too and I paid for it. Immediately after taking, the shark flicked its tail and I could feel the compression wave for a few minutes afterwards. I was probably a couple of meters away from it.

Here is a video taken during six dives off the outer banks of North Carolina. This was my second trip here. The quantity of fish is astounding and the sharks are fun too!

What wreck, what dive op?

Cool video, love NC. Never dove from the Outer Banks though.

Operator was Discovery Diving. Olympus is the other big one out there. Both are supposed to be great, although I've never gone with Olympus.

Wrecks:
Hutton - 23m
Indra - 21m
Carib Sea - 28m (this one was so good we just stayed for the 2nd dive)
U-352 - 35m
Aeolus - 34m

Diving is usually on 28% nitrox. Long hangs at 5m where the barracuda will come check you out.

Nice dives... that's pretty much what we planned when we went but because of weather we only made it to the Hutton and Indra on the 2nd day:(.... maybe next time.

I think we dove 30%.

Are there any Liveaboard charters that dive the outer banks? Love the Dive, Eat, Sleep vacations. There are so many dive sites around that area, I have my eye on for 2023.
I have done the Indra, etc when I was a newer diver WAY back in the late 90's. :) Great diving off the NC coast! I also love liveaboards and always wondered about a liveaboard out there and thought it would be a pretty awesome business venture....however, the seas can be "sporty" at times, so I wonder if that's why nobody has done it. There's time I don't necessarily want to be on the water off the NC coast for one day, much less five! LOL

Just checked. Mine consistently measured at 29%. Regardless, they idea is to get the ideal mix for a 130 ft/40 m dive.

I've lucked out both times and not had charters canceled or rerouted, but it does happen (frequently, I gather).

Nice video.

Olympus also dives the Schurz a German Gunboat 100’ FSW about 3 miles from the U-352. Olympus recommends 30% Nitrox.

There is another U-Boat 18 miles off East Nags head, the U-85 in 100’ FSW and then the U-701 in 100’ off of Cape Hatteras, NC.

I hope to go to Olympus Dive shop for the 80th anniversary of the sinking of the U-352 on May 9 and dive the Schurz the next day.

Back
Top Bottom