Shark and wreck diving in North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Outer Banks technically stretch from the Virginia line down to Cape Lookout.
Yep...figured it was inaccurate. :)

Is the U-869 formerly known as the U-Who, the one that is sunk 60 miles of N.J. and identified by John Chatterton ? I did not overlook it, not sure if I want to dive that one. I don’t have a dry suit. There has also been a bunch of fatalities on that site as well.

I am surprised that SB does not keep a pinned thread running tally on wrecks and their diver fatality figures. I guess the Andrea Doria has claimed the most lives of any U.S. wreck site ?
Yes it is. (U-Who/869) That's been written about in ShadowDivers, The Last Dive and a Gary Gentile book.
The Henry "Hank" Keatts U-boat book I mentioned is Dive Into History Volume 3: U-Boats, Pisces Books 1994 by Henry Keatts and George Farr. I've had this book since 2004, but I also remember seeing an earlier one at a Glen Cove, NY dive shop circa 1990, while I was up there attending grad school.
My maternal grandfather was a Florida maritime historian and artist, so I grew up hearing all kinds of history tales.
Also, see uboat.net as that used to be a good u-boat online source.

Actually, Discovery is in Beaufort, just across the bridge from Morehead.
Close enough!🤣

but I also remember seeing an earlier one at a Glen Cove, NY dive shop circa 1990,
Scuba Network ?
Also, see uboat.net as that used to be a good u-boat online source.
Excellent web site. Helpful reference for all things U Boat. :wink:

TravelGas -- I don't remember the name of the scuba shop in Glen Cove. This was over 30 years ago now, much to my disbelieve. It was there during my time at school, but then I remember it being gone when I went back years later. I just remember being in the shop one day seeing for the first time photos from sunken u-boats, and I believe the same shots of U-853 I mentioned in that Keatts book. Which by the way, I forgot about U-1105 in the Potomac River. I've wanted to dive that one too, but it hasn't worked out timing-wise. It's been mentioned elsewhere here in other threads, like when they put the mooring buoy out in the summer. The vis and current is supposedly pretty bad.

Gene, if the shop you were thinking of was on Old Country Road on the North side of the street and directly North/opposite of the Old Country Road Exit from the Meadowbrook parkway, then thats the same one. I beleive that was the only one in that area. I took my Master Diver class there in the mid 1990's.

Sadly, there are even fewer shops now. The one were are speaking of is long gone. Danny's Dive shop in Baldwin is also gone now. There are not many shops left, mostly online now. I think less people are diving today than there was on the 80s' and 90's, especially on Long Island.

I had to look at the map on my phone, but it looks like the road I'm talking about is Forest Ave. in Glen Cove city limits. Again, I haven't been back up there since probably around 2006, which is when I did a dive on the San Diego with the old Eagle's Nest boat, followed by Capt. Chuck's boat to the 853 out of Montauk. This was in late March and early April 2006 when I was in NYC working on a movie.
I never had a boat briefing like I had from the Vietnam Vet boat captain who owned the Eagle's Nest boat. I also remember going by a dive shop on Sunrise Highway and almost getting a cave fill, after some discussion. I moved to Glen Cove in 1989 for school for two years, but went back to the NY metro area for years working in the film business starting in the 90s.

great video and wow that is fishy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom