Shark and wreck diving in North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

any opinions on WD-4 John Gill, or hyde/markham?
The John D. Gill is an okay dive, but all it is anymore is a pile of twisted metal that doesn't even resemble a ship anymore. There is an abundance of sea life on it, however. If you do go out to dive the Gill, they will take you to either the bow or stern end and tell you to not even attempt to follow the debris field to the other end because you will not have enough gas to get back to the dive boat. Several years ago while the ship was still on one piece, NC placed a buoy at the site with a concrete anchor. One of the hurricanes that blows thru here often pull the buoy thru the ship, ripping it in half. Due to it's age and its state of disintegration, the currents have spread the debris over a wide area. So just be aware of this if you do dive this wreck.

I've never dived the Markham although it does lie very close the the Hyde and Gill. But I love the Hyde. I've dove it twice and it is fantastic. There is lots of sea life on the wreck including several sand tigers. It sits in 85 feet of water and if you can catch it on a day when the tide is inbound, you should have excellent visibility. The last time I dove it, I could put my face in the water at the surface and see the ship. Horizontal visibility was 75 feet. I highly recommend diving this wreck.

The John D. Gill is an okay dive, but all it is anymore is a pile of twisted metal that doesn't even resemble a ship anymore. There is an abundance of sea life on it, however. If you do go out to dive the Gill, they will take you to either the bow or stern end and tell you to not even attempt to follow the debris field to the other end because you will not have enough gas to get back to the dive boat. Several years ago while the ship was still on one piece, NC placed a buoy at the site with a concrete anchor. One of the hurricanes that blows thru here often pull the buoy thru the ship, ripping it in half. Due to it's age and its state of disintegration, the currents have spread the debris over a wide area. So just be aware of this if you do dive this wreck.

I've never dived the Markham although it does lie very close the the Hyde and Gill. But I love the Hyde. I've dove it twice and it is fantastic. There is lots of sea life on the wreck including several sand tigers. It sits in 85 feet of water and if you can catch it on a day when the tide is inbound, you should have excellent visibility. The last time I dove it, I could put my face in the water at the surface and see the ship. Horizontal visibility was 75 feet. I highly recommend diving this wreck.
do you happen to remember the time of year? very curious in copying these conditions!

I have dove the Hyde in July and September. Water temps both time were in the mid to low 70s at the bottom. July was the better visibility. The Gill was also in September on the same dive trip as the Hyde. Anytime from late June thru September should be fine but I would recommend checking tide charts for the Wilmington area and see if you can time your charter to an incoming tide. That should give you the best visibility.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Aeolus - I see more sharks there consistently than any other one out of all the wrecks in that area.
That one is on my list, I just haven't gotten out to dive it yet. A friend of mine says it is her favorite wreck on the NC coast.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Aeolus - I see more sharks there consistently than any other one out of all the wrecks in that area.
Op did in post #6.

@vondo I thought Discovery was out of Morehead City, not the Outer Banks? I'll admit I don't know if MC is included in what is considered the "OB". My NC geography knowledge is worth what you're paying for it, so I'm really not sure.

Op did in post #6.

@vondo I thought Discovery was out of Morehead City, not the Outer Banks? I'll admit I don't know if MC is included in what is considered the "OB". My NC geography knowledge is worth what you're paying for it, so I'm really not sure.
Actually, Discovery is in Beaufort, just across the bridge from Morehead.

Morehead/Beaufort isn't the Outer Banks, too far south. Basically anything past Hatteras/Ocracoke I don't consider the Outer Banks, not sure what the actual cutoff is.

Have heard Morehead area called the Crystal Coast.

Morehead/Beaufort isn't the Outer Banks, too far south. Basically anything past Hatteras/Ocracoke I don't consider the Outer Banks, not sure what the actual cutoff is.

Have heard Morehead area called the Crystal Coast.
This. It may be inaccurate, but I have always referred to "diving out of OBX" as being out of Nag's Head or thereabouts. Everything else is either Hatteras, Morehead, Beaufort, etc.

This. It may be inaccurate, but I have always referred to "diving out of OBX" as being out of Nag's Head or thereabouts. Everything else is either Hatteras, Morehead, Beaufort, etc.
The Outer Banks technically stretch from the Virginia line down to Cape Lookout.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom