Shark Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi joewr,

As to references to shark attacks on divers, here's an edited version of my "Ask RSD" column from the March '00 issue of "Rodale's Scuba Diving" magazine.

"While statistics are not fully reliable and vary substantially across time, over the years 1990 through 1998 an average of about 9 unprovoked attacks per year on divers were reported worldwide. Slightly less than 20% proved fatal. In other words, out of the millions of dives done worldwide in each of the last 9 years, on average less than 2 divers per year died as a result of unprovoked shark attack. Death by lightening or a vending machine falling on you is more probable. Furthermore, these attacks were much more likely to occur in some areas than others. The most numerous attacks on divers occur in the continental US, Australia and Africa (2/3rds in the Republic of South Africa), respectively. Within the US, Florida and California account equally for the majority; Hawaii has less than 1/4 the total of these two states.

Sharks, about which much remains unknown, are among the ocean's most fascinating and maligned creatures. Around for hundreds of millions years, they have changed little in the past tens of millions. The approximately 370 living species range in size from the 6" carnivorous juvenile Dwarf Sharks to the 45’+ plankton eating mature Whale Shark.

Sharks are fearsome predators due to marvelously acute sensory systems, including the ability to sense infinitesimally weak electrical fields, very low frequency sounds such those generated by escaping and struggling prey, and a sense of smell which can detect a single drop of blood in one million drops of water. While vision tends not to be nearly as well developed, some sharks have excellent sensitivity to contrast and motion, and low light acuity.

The majority of sharks pose no threat to man; only about 42 species have been implicated in attacks worldwide. Great Whites account for the majority, and these are often believed to be cases food confusion; humans are not at the top of the menu with high fat animals like seal and sea lion. Next in order are the Tiger and Bull, who some feel aggress just because the diver is in proximity.

Most shark attacks occur from below & behind and are unseen by the diver, but sharks within the line of vision occasionally signal they are disturbed. This commonly takes the form of an S-shaped posture, with arching of the back, lowering of the pectoral fins, & movement of the tail to one side, and occasionally shaking of the head from side to side--you'll recognize it. If you observe this, return to the boat if possible; if not, slowly sink to the bottom or back up against a reef or wall, and remain motionless. If a shark approaches you very closely, purge you second stage in front of it and yell. If you have no other recourse, such as when a shark bumps you, bang it on the snout, but only with a gloved hand or arm, or inanimate object. The skin of many sharks is quite rough and could easily draw blood from an unprotected body part. A number of protective measures have been experimented with, including certain chemicals and electrical shields, but none has proved infallible.

You can reduce the already tiny odds of attack by: (1) not diving near fishing, and especially spearfishing; (2) diving in groups; (3) avoiding deep channels and shallow water which rapidly becomes deep; (4) not diving at dusk, dawn or after dark; (5) not diving in murky water; (6) not diving with bleeding lesions; (7) avoiding shiny jewelry and exposure suits with contrasting colors; (8) not harassing a shark; and (9) returning to the boat when a shark becomes overly inquisitive or postures.

A diver following the above suggestions has no reason for fear."

Hope you found this informative.

Dive with comfort.

DocVikingo

Scubabunny I am shocked! A married man requires a certain number of "toys" is the term you used. It is a commonly known fact that the reason that men need toys to prove their love for the beautiful, aware, emotionally stable, and brilliant wife (like yourself).

That way, he can prove to you that he loves you even more by spending time with you rather than dealing with all of the neat stuff that is a lesser part of his life.

"Gee dear, I could be watching the game on the big screen DVD enabled TV or cutting the grass on my air conditioned, stereo equipped lawn tractor; but I decided to come in and rub your back instead -- after you make dinner, wash the clothes, clean the bathroom, dust, wash the floors, and fix the leaky basement -- until then I'll be waiting for you in front of the Nintendo"

(You know I'm joking - right? My ex-wife didn't :tease: )

before I ask a scuba-related question I am going to do a lit search for what the good Doctor has written! As usual, very well done, Doc, and very much appreciated.

I have been up close and personal with sharks so many times that I worry about becoming complacent. So, every once and a while it is nice to do a reality check. Say, Doc, just what kind of vending machines are you hanging around these days?

Joewr

Well Joe, you really know how to get something started. Sharks and divers!!!! It's really strange the number of non-diver friends that come up to me, after they have either read or seen on TV "A SHARK ATTACK", with concern about my diving future. "Aren't you afraid that will happen to you while diving?" or "Is there some place you can hide when you see a shark?". Hey, that's one of the many reasons I dive, to see the beautiful wonders of the ocean. Sharks, what few I have seen, are part of that beauty. Like you say, most of the the attacks are someone on the surface swimming, kicking and looking like a nice seal(I'm sure you have seen the Discovery Channel video shot of the guy laying on his surfboard with his arms and leg hanging off. Looks like a seal to me). I am very respectful of any shark I see, I give him/her all the room they want and just hang in the water and observe.
As to the "The Warhammer Manuever". Man, what in the world had you been eating? Now I know why they was no living coral in that photo. Poor camera man. Hey, poor everything in a mile radius.
As to the "Men and there toys". All I can say is "GOTTA HAVE THEM".

You can reduce the already tiny odds of attack by: (1) not diving near fishing, and especially spearfishing; OF COURSE UNLESS YOU ARE SPEARFISHING...(2) diving in groups; HERE COME THE JETS...... (3) avoiding deep channels and shallow water which rapidly becomes deep;????? forget south Florida...(4) not diving at dusk, dawn or after dark; AND DAYTIME BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 8 and 5 (5) not diving in murky water; (especially quarries...lol) (6) not diving with bleeding lesions;WHICH I ALWAYS DO! (7) avoiding shiny jewelry and exposure suits with contrasting colors; NO MR T STARTER SETS IN THE WATER PLAESE (8) not harassing a shark; no ethnic slurs, name calling, or bully-ing(execpt for bull sharks of course) and (9) returning to the boat when a shark becomes overly inquisitive or postures. Fins down...fins out of the water

A diver following the above suggestions has no reason for fear." This was written by a non-diver, land lubbing individual......

But...it didn't work! First of all, he has YET to drop them "mega-bucks" on a ring (no sermons please...I get enough from my mom! Yes..we are living in sin *gasps*!)

Seriously, I do not begrudg the "love of my life" his toys...but Rebreathers make me nervous. A friend of his got certified on the Inspiration rebreather and thinks it the most wonderful thing since sliced bread. I've heard some bad things about the Inspiration rebreathers. Our shop is going to become the newest Halycon dealer in the pacific. Anyone know anything about their rebreathers?

And Mario...are you saying women are as bad as men with their toys??? I will have you know...women spend money on important things (ie. food, clothes, comforts of life) At least MY toys don't cost $2,000 each! *winks and wiggles her tail*

Hi Joewr,

Thank you for the kind words.

I'm a big fan of sharks, and spend a fair amount of complacent time around them as well. Ony two experiences significantly elevated my Schneider count, a great white off cental CA & a tiger in the TCI. Even though both seemed totally uninterested in me, I badly wanted to be somewhere else. The tiger was a beautiful creature to behold, however. BTW, if you want a sharkfest, do the Galapagos.

Cheers,

DocVikingo

Doc, you and Joe have my saliva glands working overtime with all this talk about those beautiful creatures. Going to be doing my first shark dive this coming Saturday and I am so stoked.

Hopefully I will get some good pics that I can post next week.

Socaldiver,

Where are you headed? Geez, I wish I could undo these chains!

Good luck and looking forward to hearing (and seeing) all about it.

Joewr

Ever hear of a salmon shark? Here is a link to a couple of pictures that came to me from a friend. The one of the shark leaping out of the water is quite interesting.

http://community.webshots.com/album/19241233cgZvGOeoOX

I have yet to run into a shark while diving here. I have seen a Hammerhead and a sleeping reef shark in a cave.

Joewr, I think my chains are heavier than yours. As for the limeliters, check them out at http://www.limeliters.com, they have their tour dates there. You should have taken the Kingston Trio/Limeliter cruise to Alaska next month!

Back
Top Bottom