Shark Attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverinak,

Thanks for the photos! I have to admit that I have never heard of a salmon shark. Wish the "jumping" photo had been taken with a longer telephoto.

And thanks for the info on the Limelighters. They are coming to Berkeley in October and if I can arrange it, I will be there. Berkeley is just down the road from me.

Gawd, I hope your links are not heavier than mine! Enough said...

Good to hear from you again...

Joewr

Hello,

Well sharks does have some vision problems, they are short sighted. The often mistake people (surf boards and swimmers) on the surface for their favorite food, seals. I hear more about close (and I mean close) encounters with sharks from surfers and swimers than I do from scuba divers.

This one scuba event comes to mind. My photography instructor was photographing sharks in this area they found. The longer they went the more sharks showed up and the bolder the sharks became. This dive boat pulled up and demanded they get out of the water (for their safety) so they got out and was talking to this crew. They told them they was on a 'shark feeding site' where they suited up in the chainmail and feed the sharks. He said it was like the sharks associated him with food because of the routine feeding the crew did.

I also seen video footage of this same guy getting attacked by a shark (wasn't hurt but was seriously shaken). He hit the shark on the nose with his aquatica housing (housed a nikon F5) and left the water.

Ed

There is a natural history museum in Florida that has a shark attack department. They track all the shark attacks around the world. According to the travel channel special 80% of shark attacks happen in shallow water. I live in an area of surfers and we have had a couple of attacks. We also have elephant seals a few miles up the coast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom