Shark attack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya don't mess with the Cuda... Especially when they are 5 feet long! Those teeth will cut fish right in two... Imagine if they get hold of your... (fill in with personal preference...:D).:rofl3:
interesting...

but in front of vistamar? must've been attracted by all the barbecued tilapia that resort's clientelle seem to produce by the bus loads

Jag

Baracuda are known to move into shallows and flats to hunt. And any type of stimuli could have induced the bite. A flashlight, something reflective, or even just bumping into it in the dark...:popcorn:

another version seems to put the time at 6am. as with most incidents like this, the factual report really takes time to surface.

Barracuda attack from below to the surface. We dived with a world renowed marine bio who had part of his hand bitten off by barracuda in the same circumstances.

We, like many, always feel more comfortable diving than snokelling.

Reminds us of jumping in the water with shark off the back of a liveaboard in Palau - we were the only 'fools'. The shark just naffed off and left us!!!!!

This guy who got attacked was really unlucky to get bit in our opinion!!!! Maybe he was a spear fisher with 'shiny' fish on his belt???? This is the usual cause.

Its very unusual to here of any attacks by marine predators in the Philippines especially Sharks and cuda, our usual predator in this area is Nimo, the scourge of the reef!
I hope the bitten guy recovers ok, thats not a nice thing to happen to any one!

Mike- baby blacktips were regularly seen in front of the dive solana dining area, near the shore, when we used to frequent the place several years ago, i wonder if they can still be seen there.

Yep, that is where we saw them last year. In front of Solana Bezo.

This guy who got attacked was really unlucky to get bit in our opinion!!!! Maybe he was a spear fisher with 'shiny' fish on his belt???? This is the usual cause.

spearfishing is not allowed in anilao :no:. personally i have never seen any spear fisher there.

spearfishing is not allowed in anilao :no:. personally i have never seen any spear fisher there.
spearfishers now go to lobo... that's on the verde passage... lots of good game i hear, used to go there back when i was tiny and the marine life was real nice

don't know how the fishing there is now as it's probably decimated

Jag

There are many spearfishers in the bauan area, not far from anilao. Most are small fishermen, who spear even the very small fish (which are all that's left in the area). When confronted they will tell you its just for their next meal, so what more can you say?

Back
Top Bottom