Shark attack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Last weekend I heard reports that trigger fish were spawning and attacked divers in Twin Rocks. I would not be surprised if this was the cause also at Vistamar. It's easy to call it a shark attack to sensationalize news reporting.

yes, trigger fish mating/spawning season now around anilao. but let's not speculate if we don't have the correct info on what really happened. i'm sure jigo did not post this thread to sensationalize.

According to a succeeding news report, it was the victim himself who claims that he was swimming in front of a certain resort (cant recall the name, which was mentioned, but not vistamar) when he saw a shark following him. He swam toward shore, but suddenly tthe shark was in front of him, and it attacked. He is now blaming the resort for not having somebody to warn swimmers of the presence of sharks. However, said the report, local authorities, including Bantay Dagat personnel, expressed doubts that it was a shark attack. So I thought, finally, I would hear a nore rational explanation. Then they aired an unnamed barangay official's comment: "Imposibleng pating yun, kasi kung pating dapat kinain na sya!" (Could not have been a shark, because if it was a shark, it would have eaten him!) :shocked2:

I think the word "shark" attack was reported in the radio and just relayed in this thread. So I'm not casting any aspersions on the originator of the thread.

i think what's really important is for us to find out if it was really a shark or a barracuda so divers can be warned and take the necessary precautions....(like bringing a pair of chopsticks to scare off sharks)

The trigger fish is more probable as one of our group members was attacked by two very ill-tempered triggers last Saturday in Anilao. Good thing he's a seasoned diver and was able to fend them off. Please ask Matthew for details. If that ever happened to me... ewan ko lang.. I might forget to breath! (sus ko po!!!)

Btw, after all my dives in Anilao, I was never lucky enough to see anything bigger than a barracuda (not more than 3 ft). I wonder where these sharks are? hmmm...

Gi

Last edited:
wow scary. have seen a big 'cuda up close once

Ya don't mess with the Cuda... Especially when they are 5 feet long! Those teeth will cut fish right in two... Imagine if they get hold of your... (fill in with personal preference...:D).:rofl3:

n843784243_945487_1015.jpg

Our thoughts and prayers for the victim and hope that he pulls through. It it was a cuda... I can only imagine... Seems very unlikely to have been a shark to me

In the case of great barracudas.... I wasn't to worried but when looking at these teeth, I decided I would give the cuda my camera, should he have decided he wanted it :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom