Shark bites liveaboard guest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your argument is because we "seldom get the facts" it's o.k. to speculate? You can't possibly be serious. I'm also curious to know how your speculation, or any speculation for that manner has "helped".
I suppose I could have just asked: "Aren't these divers required to knell during the feeds?" At any rate, that information was given.

If you have any further complaints about where speculation should be allowed in the absence of facts on this forum, it'd probly be better to voice them here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/feedback/

If you have any further complaints about where speculation should be allowed in the absence of facts on this forum, it'd probly be better to voice them here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/feedback/

Thanks for the tip Don, I don't believe it's your call to tell me where I can or can't voice my opinion. Last time I checked there are no rules against civil disagreement with someone on SB.

Now if we could please get back on topic.

Thanks for the tip Don, I don't believe it's your call to tell me where I can or can't voice my opinion. Last time I checked there are no rules against civil disagreement with someone on SB.

Now if we could please get back on topic.
My thots exactly, but I tried to offer a polite suggestion...

this took place off the coast of grand bahama. Bahamanian waters. Florida bans don't affect these trips even though Sheerwater departs from Florida. 50 miles offshore is no longer our space. another incident of vague reporting that misleads those not familiar enough to know!

this trip has had other problems- cameras taken away from photographers by sharks- great photo ops but obviously an accident waiting to happen set up.

Here is the website for Shearwater shark trips, you can read about the trip Itinerary and decide for yourself if it is something you would want to do.
JASA: Bahamas Itineraries

I think everyone who does this trip knows what will happen on the trip, the whole purpose of the trip is to see sharks! It even says right there that water is being chummed while divers are in the water. All divers get into the water knowing this. It is a hugely popular trip for those wanting to get up close with sharks. Considering how many people have done this trip and the fact that this is the first serious incident we have heard of, I wouldn't start labeling this as "unsafe".

let's wait until all the facts are in...

this took place off the coast of grand bahama. Bahamanian waters. Florida bans don't affect these trips even though Sheerwater departs from Florida. 50 miles offshore is no longer our space. another incident of vague reporting that misleads those not familiar enough to know!

this trip has had other problems- cameras taken away from photographers by sharks- great photo ops but obviously an accident waiting to happen set up.

You wrote, this trip has had other problems. Do you have a source for this info? I'm just trying to clarify the facts of the specific accident.

I jut love when people who have:

1) Never spent any real time in the actual water with sharks close up

2) Don't know the record including # of dives, safety procedures, experience with diving operations, etc. of an operator

3) Speculate without any facts

and then weigh in on sharks and divers.

I personally have chartered JASA (Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures) 7+ times with most for Shark Expeditions. He is a lot safer than many if not most of those "kneel here and we'll feed the sharks for you!" type dives. As stated, bait is in the water in crates, but not fed to the animals. Those people who think they'll get to see or photograph these beautiful animals without keeping them around this way are deluded........

The "cameras taken away" is more a stunt than regular occurance. Never happened to me or any of my fellow photographers in hundreds of dives and hours.

The State of FLA has it's proverbial head up it's you know what, too. They ban any dive operation from bait yet allow MILLIONS of bathers every year to enter murky splash filled water next to like, 75 fishing piers? Dumping guts and blood into them right next to Johnny and Susy splashing around.......How retarded.

Jimmy has a flying boat (Zodiac with a wing) he flew for maybe 30+ miles above several major beaches and videotaped hundreds of sharks outside the surfline on a typical day. That coupled with science behind how many humans enter the ocean every day, especially in FLA or CA and how few sharks even nip a person were discounted by FLA "officials". Because politicians have to reassure the public "all is well!" solving any perceived problem with a lame solution.

Sorry for the rant, but I'd like to Google how many dog, cat, ferret, snake, or people bites etc. resulted in hospital visits on 2/24/08. Or how many sharks necessary for the complete environmental balance were finned or hooked and killed on the same day. The sharks sure should fear us more than we fear them.

Let's wait for real information.....

dhaas

P.S. - I see this has ended sadly. I do, of course, feel sympathy for the man and his family. But again, facts need to be known........

We would like to extend our prayers to the person bitten by a shark and their familiy. We also pray for you to have a speedy recovery and this incident doesn’t have too much of an effect on your life or effect your family.

We have formed an organization for Shark Attack Survivors operated by Shark Attack Survivors at Shark Attack Survivors Sites provide Shark Attack Information by Shark Attack Survivors.

We are the only organization that provides resources, information, and assistance for past, present, and future shark attack victims and their families.

If you were involved or know someone who was involved in a shark attack, Please visit and contact us at Shark Attack Survivors Sites provide Shark Attack Information by Shark Attack Survivors.

If there is anything your fellow shark attack survivors can ever do to assist you or your family in any way, Contact Us!

SharkAttackSurvivors.com also has pages and pages of shark attack information to help others avoid being attacked, visit us.

Director
Al Brenneka
Shark Attack Survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom