Shark bites liveaboard guest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
an underwater photographer lost his camera to a tiger shark, it took it right out of his hands. too close for my comfort!

The Miami Herald has just reported that the diver died. Prayers to his family

Thanks for the update Onespeed. My thoughts and prayers are with the diver's family. It is shocking how little information is really being provided on this incident.

I read that the victim was from Europe. Contacting the family may be what is slowing the flow of information.

My deepest sympathies for them.

UPDATED ARTICLE LINK AT BOTTOM

I have been diving all over with sharks in both feed/natural and chum settings. Although it is true that they fear us more than we fear them, they are still animals and unpredictable.

I love sharks and diving with them. However certain species are simply more dangerours(bull, tiger, makos) and when you start chumming around them, eventually their will be an "accident" and that is exactly what happened. The shark mistook the diver for something edible, took a bite and realized he wasn't. Sharks have no interest in humans, but sometimes they confuse their meal with humans or sometimes it is a defense mechanism. Bull and Tiger sharks are known scavenger's.

I have dove this same area where this unforunate event occured off the northwest coast of Grand Bahama. Many call it "Tiger Beach". Bull sharks are frequent visitors to this diving area along with the tiger's and lemon sharks. However when I dove this area on another charter vessel in that same place that Jim Abernathy's trip took place, I was in a cage and that is how these dives should take place in the vicinity of more dangerous species.

The kneel feeds that another posters referred to usually only involve Reef sharks and are no where near as dangerous.

I had heard he had been warned that as a dive operator, he should be abiding by the Bahamas Dive Association policies. The below article mentions that he was warned, but clearly he did not listen. It is very easy to create cage like settings that also work well for photographers.

Hopefully this time he will listen. He of all people should know better because I have heard that he too was bite by a bull shark in the past many years ago. It is simply not safe to dive with these creatures in this way. It might be 1 out of 1,000 times. But it is not worth the risk of someone else's life.

My prayer's are with the diver's family.

Here is a link to an updated article in the Sun Sentinel Newspaper:

Man bitten by shark off S. Fla. dies -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Well, Jim didn't force him underwater. People that dive these trips are well aware of the risks (or should be). You are right, though, in my opinion it is a matter of time, since these are wild animals.

Of course, unless you were there your statement of "this is what happened" is only speculation. While it's true of most shark attacks (mistaken identity), no one except the people there have any idea of what happened.

COndolences to the family. This could happen to any of us that dive with sharks regularly.

I read that the victim was from Europe. Contacting the family may be what is slowing the flow of information.

My deepest sympathies for them.
That would normally prevent release of his name only. Otherwise, it is generally common (not talking about this Op or country in particular), that Ops and countries don't release any more than they feel they have to.
Well, Jim didn't force him underwater. People that dive these trips are well aware of the risks (or should be). You are right, though, in my opinion it is a matter of time, since these are wild animals.
Sure, no argument there. There are those who say I am dangerous going underwater with a tank on my back, especially at my age. Well, it's my call, and his was his. It's just not a trip I'd want to do...

UPDATED ARTICLE LINK AT BOTTOM

I have been diving all over with sharks in both feed/natural and chum settings. Although it is true that they fear us more than we fear them, they are still animals and unpredictable.

I love sharks and diving with them. However certain species are simply more dangerours(bull, tiger, makos) and when you start chumming around them, eventually their will be an "accident" and that is exactly what happened. The shark mistook the diver for something edible, took a bite and realized he wasn't. Sharks have no interest in humans, but sometimes they confuse their meal with humans or sometimes it is a defense mechanism. Bull and Tiger sharks are known scavenger's.

I have dove this same area where this unforunate event occured off the northwest coast of Grand Bahama. Many call it "Tiger Beach". Bull sharks are frequent visitors to this diving area along with the tiger's and lemon sharks. However when I dove this area on another charter vessel in that same place that Jim Abernathy's trip took place, I was in a cage and that is how these dives should take place in the vicinity of more dangerous species.

The kneel feeds that another posters referred to usually only involve Reef sharks and are no where near as dangerous.

I had heard he had been warned that as a dive operator, he should be abiding by the Bahamas Dive Association policies. The below article mentions that he was warned, but clearly he did not listen. It is very easy to create cage like settings that also work well for photographers.

Hopefully this time he will listen. He of all people should know better because I have heard that he too was bite by a bull shark in the past many years ago. It is simply not safe to dive with these creatures in this way. It might be 1 out of 1,000 times. But it is not worth the risk of someone else's life.

My prayer's are with the diver's family.

Here is a link to an updated article in the Sun Sentinel Newspaper:

Man bitten by shark off S. Fla. dies -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

I'm not sure how speculating on this operation, without any first hand experience adds to the evaluation of this specific accident.

Last time I looked at people's photos and web sites for diving operations in the Bahamas I don't see cages being used at Nassau or around Grand Bahama Island. They bait and feed at both these popular places, and I don't believe there are "no Tiger Sharks Allowed" signs posted near that part of the ocean. Plus reports indicate it was a Bull shark, maybe not AS common but certainly a normal resident of Bahamian waters.

So the warnings referred to in the article, and also posting about only cage dives at Tiger Beach being "safer" are pure crappola'. The Bahamas makes a lot of $$$ off shark diving. You can't make any activity 100% safe....But JASA's record speaks volumes when you consider the sheer amount of time they and their customers have spent with all species of sharks in Bahamian waters.

Again, let's get facts from actual experiences, not suppositions......

This is all very sad, and as several posters said, sometimes it's just your time.

dhaas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom