shark defense

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aujax

Reaction score
I noticed Gil's post in the shark discussion about some type of futuristic shark defense mechanism. Believe it or not, I saw one on TV yesterday being tested. It was on that classic program of voyeuristic pleasures, "Real TV". It seems someone has come up with a back-pack type device (mounts onto a tank) that emits a field around the diver which greatly disturbs sharks. I couldn't tell from the video whether it could be turned on all the time, but the divers were shocking sharks when they got too close. The sharks turned away very quickly - reall humane. Now, we all know this is pretty unnecessary, but it could be useful for really regular shark divers or those with phobias (I won't name any names :wink: They said list price was $800. Anyone know anything else about this?

Just curious,

-Aujax

Oops, I clicked on this thread because I thought you were talking about a new defense the sharks had to prevent the killing of many millions of their own by humans.

Since the human body is also filled with electromagnetic fields, I wonder whether this device (if kept on for the duration of the dives) might introduce unanticipated and adberse health effects far greater than the "danger" from sharks.

Dr. Bill

The shark pod emits an electrical field that disrupts a one of the shark’s electroreceptive organs – the ampullae of Lorenzini. It is normally worn with one electrode on the tank and the other attached to the diver’s fin. If the distance between the two electrodes exceeds 2.5 m, the electrical field dissipates. The device is left on for the duration of the dive to be effective. Shark pods have been in use for over 7 years. An improved version known as the shark shield device is available and is reported to be more user-friendly. The device was initially invented in South Africa and endorsed by the Natal Shark Advisory Board. It was also used in during the Sydney Olympics.

There was a case last year in where an abalone diver off the Australian coast was attacked by a white pointer (great white) while wearing an activated device. An inquiry into the incident found that the diver may have used the shark pod improperly and only switched it on immediately prior to the attack.

Further information can be found at:

http://www.sharkshield.com/intro.html

I think this product is completely unnecessary unless one is intentionally diving and pursuing close contact with sharks such as tigers, makos or great whites - the unit could be turned off when you want to get closer. Wouldn't you just feel better in South African waters if you had one of these babies? I mean, I know the chances are really, really slim that I'm going to be struck by lightning, but I just feel a lot better knowing I'll be safer inside a car. Maybe I feel this way because I've never had any real contact with sharks. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to get into the water with reef sharks or leopard sharks, but great whites scare the crap out of me! :wacko:

Most guys I know who have confrontational encounters with sharks are spearfishing in Florida. They sometimes wrestle with sharks for thier catch. Apparently, the rule with these guys is you never give up your catch, or the shark will come back for more. I don't know the accuracy of this statement....does anyone else?

If I ever decide to take up spearfishing, I'd look into one of those shields...

JAG

How do I always manage to miss all the really cool shows? Is there a thread for upcoming shows on the discovery channel or something to inform people? If anyone works for TV Guide I'd really appreciate a heads up when these type or any other diving related show is coming on.

Have a care...DH used the new improved Shark Shield (after the recall) and it shocked HIM instead during the dive! Also be aware that some research says that these devices may ATTRACT some types of sharks/behaviours.

Common sense still makes more sense to me...

aujax:
I think this product is completely unnecessary

Why do you think they call them products?

Funny thing...
My buddy in the industry told me that the manufacterer was originally thinking of making George (or is it Steve?) Erwin (the Croc Hunter) to be the spokesperson for the product, but he proved too difficult to work with.

JAG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom