Shark Encounter Dives - Is it the right thing to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fisherdvm:
However, I am against feeding of any predators that potentially could hurt man. I think this includes feeding eels, baracudas, tiger sharks, and great whites.

I am not an expert in shark, but when you feed animals that can hurt man, you are just going to increase the probability of someone getting hurt.

No disagreement there, but I think my overriding philosophy on that issue is you make your own risk analysis as a diver. The results are your responsibility.

sjspeck:
But in the bigger scheme of things, is that such a bad thing? If it encourages people to support a ban on shark finning, I don't think it is.

I'd be interrested in hearing your view on shark encounter diving vs environmental awareness in this particular area. If charters providing that service pointed out the problem of shark finning... Well maybe. Could also give more bad guys the idea. I don't see the "plight of shark finning" becoming part of the DM briefing though.

There are many shark dives where there is no feeding...

You have to choose your battles and there are so many worse things happening.

I have to admit, if they started feeding sharks close to the surf spots here, I would not

appreciate it. We already have lots of Tigers near the commercial fish docks.

I think the underwater world is interesting enough without artifically changing or managing behaviors. Look and don't touch is more my style. If it's done to educate I can somewhat understand it since this is the logic behind public aquariums. I don't think you need to ride on the back of an Orca (a la SeaWorld) to interest the public. It would be just as interesting with a riderless Orca and more public education. The same goes for sharks in my opinion.

To me it's not about how does this affect man (increased danger of attack) rather than how does this change the marine environment.

If adults make informed decisions regarding risk for themselves, I respect that.

If they condition sharks to associate man with food & get someone uninvolved attacked later, &/or increase the risk of shark attack substantially, I abhor that.

I believe Florida outlawed shark feeding for just the sort of risk. You could argue that it's an unproven concern, but how many people need to get mauled to make the point? Is it a chance worth taking?

The main difference I see in this thread is, well, seems like you're talking about feeding 'harmless' sharks, right? Harmless is relative, of course...

Richard.

I have been on staged shark dives in the Bahamas, I also have been on the reef at night in Australia while the white tips are out to find a meal. I have enjoyed both. I have been able to observe some silver tips in Australia and PNG while diving and they were perhaps curious, they were not being fed.
I have seen gray whalers who have been fed with tuna heads in a frenzy, incidently we were 100miles off shore. It was an incredible sight to see with big queensland groupers and maybe 30 sharks of different kinds. I'm not sure I want to condone an effort like this, it was included on the itinerary, but I did enjoy it.

DougNR:
I'd be interrested in hearing your view on shark encounter diving vs environmental awareness in this particular area. If charters providing that service pointed out the problem of shark finning... Well maybe. Could also give more bad guys the idea. I don't see the "plight of shark finning" becoming part of the DM briefing though.
For me it's a tough call.

I don't like the idea of a typical staged shark encounter - although I must admit I was the first one in the water at my first one - but my point was that people who've seen what graceful creatures they really are are more likely to support bans on shark finning - like the recent petition circulated here - than those who fear them.

The problem I believe is one of perception, most non-divers I talk to typically ask if I've ever seen a shark and what did I do? Some even ask how I would kill it - thanks to Jaws and Discovery Channel specials - people have a negative perception about sharks.

I hope that any spotlight on the practice of shark-finning and how much damage is being done to the world's shark populations is better than none. But as Vladimir posted, shark finners take advantage of staged shark encounters. Fortunately I don't think that happens too often in the Bahamas. If it would reduce the ability of the finners to capture sharks, I would never do a shark encounter again.

Since it certainly is not their natural behavior. Which doesn't sit well with me since I'm the look don't touch diver. I shoot things with a camera. I was just reading a recent thread about spearfishing and one of the divers mentioned that he'd likely blow away a bull shark that become too interested in his catch. And in a later post described how for someone else. How insanely wrong is that? Killing the apex predator in the area while invading their world.

There were a couple of people on the boat who didn't do the dive - not out of fear but silent protest of staged encounters - I almost joined them. otoh I will go dive with Tigers someday for the experience - and the footage.

A recent National Geographic article that stated a live Caribbean Reef Shark is worth $200,000 over its lifespan to the Bahamas because of shark feeding. The result is the sharks are worth more to locals alive than dead. Why? Because of shark feedings.

The Shark Watchers Handbook states there is no evidence to support one side of the argument over another because there has not been enough research on the subject. No one can say for certain shark feedings are environmentally damaging.

I also read where there were no shark attacks within 80 miles of shark feeding locations in Florida prior to the feeding ban. It seems the increased rate shark attacks argument seems weak.

Shrimp boats push their by-catch off boats everyday with sharks in tow. No one seems to mind that.

So, for me, if shark feedings increase people's awareness and appreciation of sharks, prods people to shark conservation, makes sharks worth more to the local economy alive than dead, and no hard evidence that the practice is destructive...break out the chum.

drrich2:
The main difference I see in this thread is, well, seems like you're talking about feeding 'harmless' sharks, right? Harmless is relative, of course...

If I said anything to indicate the sharks being feed or sharks in general are 'harmless' it was unintentional I assure you. Like most people I'd probably use the term 'unpredictable' to describe anything but perhaps a Nurse Shark and many might disagree with that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom