Shark Encounter Dives - Is it the right thing to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowjazz:
The Shark Watchers Handbook states there is no evidence to support one side of the argument over another because there has not been enough research on the subject. No one can say for certain shark feedings are environmentally damaging.

No argument there, but as I mentioned in the opening, we've been wrong on thse issues in the past. Is it worth it for our entertainment?

cowjazz:
I also read where there were no shark attacks within 80 miles of shark feeding locations in Florida prior to the feeding ban. It seems the increased rate shark attacks argument seems weak.

Frankly I made no argument of that nature since my view on diver safety is that we're reponsible for our own actions. My concerns are that behavioral modifications we are responsible for bringing about could eventually be detrimental to that species.

I can see where bringing divers in contact with sharks at these feedings can increase awareness of these creatures and perhaps help to break people out of the "JAWS" mindset, but I think this is outweighed by the risk involved in encouraging them in human interaction. It's like when a mountain lion is found in the urban interface the lion always loses. Even if this does not increase the number of shark attacks, when more sharks come to where the people are, the sharks will lose.

TANGENT- Reminds me of the bear feedings @ Yosemite in the 1950's; not too many folks think that was the best idea anymore. I'm sure though it was cool to watch.

TimAZ:
TANGENT- Reminds me of the bear feedings @ Yosemite in the 1950's; not too many folks think that was the best idea anymore. I'm sure though it was cool to watch.

Yep 45

gonetobaja:
I saw a video where a Big Moray tore off someones thumb. He was feeding it.
GTB

That video was staged.... the moray didn't tear his thumb off.

As for Stuart Cove's shark dive.... they have been doing that for YEARS and nobody has ever gotten hurt, so I think the track record speaks for itself. I think the benefit it does by getting people in the water with sharks and seeing that they aren't mindless killers outweighs any negativity.

cowjazz:
A recent National Geographic article that stated a live Caribbean Reef Shark is worth $200,000 over its lifespan to the Bahamas because of shark feeding. The result is the sharks are worth more to locals alive than dead. Why? Because of shark feedings.

The Shark Watchers Handbook states there is no evidence to support one side of the argument over another because there has not been enough research on the subject. No one can say for certain shark feedings are environmentally damaging.

I also read where there were no shark attacks within 80 miles of shark feeding locations in Florida prior to the feeding ban. It seems the increased rate shark attacks argument seems weak.

Shrimp boats push their by-catch off boats everyday with sharks in tow. No one seems to mind that.

So, for me, if shark feedings increase people's awareness and appreciation of sharks, prods people to shark conservation, makes sharks worth more to the local economy alive than dead, and no hard evidence that the practice is destructive...break out the chum.
Good comment. Increased awareness of the shark's importance to maintaining healthy ecosystems and relative non-menacing behavior to humans (by and large), whether through staged feedings or aquarium exhibits, is worth the price. Both venues increase appreciation and decrease negative public opinion generated from movies, like "Jaws," which Peter Benchley regretted writing and producing in his latter years.

This is a very long and in some cases heated debate. Growing up with a father who was a wildlife biologist I got to experience many sides of the animal kingdom. Needless to say I grew up with a keen appreciation of the wild world around me. More so than the more tame human world.

We should not confuse the whirl of the can opener and a pet cat circling around and the whirl of an engine and a shark circling around. One is a domesticated aminal the other is a habituated animal. There is a huge difference between the two.

In the long course of things humans have found that habituating a wild animal to their presence has in the end not been good. Whether this be the bears who fed on the garbage in Yellowstone, or the pigeons in Trafalgar Square. The same with erradication of an animal such as the wolf. Some take longer than others. Sometimes by the time we realize it, it is too late and they are extinct.

I personally can not condemn nor condone things like shark feeding if the testosterone levels can be kept to zero. I feel the same about hunting and other such activitives. Why? Because in the long run it is going to take more than just conversationists to keep the world from imploding from the damage being down by the consumptionists.

Unfortunately, we are all consumptionists to a certain degree. But the real question is for what we take do we give in return? For example, how many of us have taken the time to write a thoughtful letter to a coroporation regarding some practice that we disagree with. By thoughtful I mean an original letter - not a just signed a form letter from an organization requesting your help?

One of the last ones I wrote was regarding shark fin soup that was going to be served at the new Disney Prak in Hong Kong. I wrote to the CEO. And much to my surprise I got a thoughtful response in reply. This was actually by email and we had a very pleasant exchange. In the end they decided against serving the soup. They gave their reasons that let them save face though I think we all knew the real reasons. But that is neither here nor there as in the end they did the right thing.

So am willing to let places do shark feeding if it is done in a reasonable fashion with the hopes those experiencing it will walk a way with the desire to help conserve the world around them.

But I will not be naive to think everyone will to do this - and when it happens I will have no problem in saying - "shoot'er down".

And for the record last year in Truk Lagoon our live-a-board did a shark feeding dive. My wife and I were the only two people other than the captain who did not do the dive. Everyone else got wet. Several ask why we did not do the dive - we explained politely our reasons. Everyone respected it and some said afterwards they could see why we felt the way we did. And when we returned to the states I sent a note letting them know our feelings. Would I dive with them again - in a heart beat as overall they are doing a good thing.

Off to walk my domesticated aminals ...

DawgDiver:
That video was staged.... the moray didn't tear his thumb off.

As for Stuart Cove's shark dive.... they have been doing that for YEARS and nobody has ever gotten hurt, so I think the track record speaks for itself. I think the benefit it does by getting people in the water with sharks and seeing that they aren't mindless killers outweighs any negativity.

Im glad that video was staged if it was. That diver was playing with that thing way too much.

I agree with you about the guys at Stuart Cove, they have had a great track record for saftey. It does benefit sharks to have the diver interaction. Im just wondering how long it will be untill someone gets bit. If they have some type of protection, it will be a vacation highlight! If they are not, the result could have some serious effects on the shark diving industry. I like the idea of observing from a cage though. Full body armor chain mail gives you protection while allowing for a more natural interaction (if you call divers in the water with sharks natural)

I just think that we should wear more protection or provide a safer way to do those dives so there is less of a chance of a bad press situation.

GTB

According to the employees on the dive I did with Stuart Coves, there have been a few incidents with their shark dives, one a young man who did not keep his arms near his body got bit. In Another, one of the feeders got bit on his head. Neither incident was serious.

It seems there are both good and bad points for dives like this.

You don't feed bears, gators or any other wild animal. We all know the consequenes. Why should feeding sharks be considered differently. Bad for the animal in many ways and bad for people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom