Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, I do not have pictures, but I do have an interesting shark story from my time in the US Navy:

It was not on an actual dive, but a surface swim. In the third and final phase for a training school, we went to San Clemente Island in CA (off of San Diego). We arrived at sun down and after storing our gear we were directed into a classroom. We were in the classroom for a safety brief of the island we would call home for the next 4weeks. They told us about the civilians on the island, wildlife, don't touch it, etc., etc. and they concluded with a video (documentary-like) about the ocean area surrounding the island. Now the video looked very professional and real although after the years past, my suspicions have grown about it. So anyway... during this 30 minute long video, it explains how the waters surrounding San Clemente are a perfect breeding ground for Great White sharks. :shakehead: It also stated how they would be attracted by chem lights (don't remember the reason given). Nobody thought much about it at the time as it was a safety brief and we thought ok be alert on swims, etc.

At the end of the brief, we were immediately led outside with all this Great White info fresh in our heads and we were taken to the water with instructions to prep for a night swim. :shocked2: The swim was aptly named, "The Shark Swim" and was a 1000 meter swim. We had about 40 people in our class at the time and were broken into 2 groups of about 20. I was in group 2 and we waited on the shore listening to our classmates yell in horror thinking a Great White was going after them and then sighing in relief that all they were attacked by was a giant strand of kelp. Note: on night swims we had to have chem lights attached to us for "safety" reasons. The instructors even trailed us in a boat "in case there was an emergency." This was the only swim I did in entirety with my KBar knife literally in my hand. Obviously there were no issues with any sharks during this time. There was one issue (no one was hurt) a few weeks later with a Tiger Shark though. A close encounter one actually. But that's another story.

wow awesome story can I here the other story and for everyone else thanks for the photos and just keep them coming

Boat Cove, West Caicos, T&C July 17, 2009. No artificial shark feeding or attracting event, just the sharks. These 2 swam circles and figure 8s around us for almost 15 minutes at the cut down the wall at the end of the dive. Great experience.

YouTube - Old Shark and Big Shark

Good diving, Craig

Wow! What a picture, thanks.

Good diving, Craig

second attempt to post the larger version of my avatar. can't figure it out so you have to click on the thumbnail below to see a larger version - maybe someone can tell me why i can't get a normal size to show in the post. werner van steen took the photo. i was just the model (the one in black, not in grey).

View attachment 61665

wow awesome story can I here the other story

The Tiger Shark story...

Again at the same training course. We were making use of stun grenades to score lobster for dinner. :cool2: Interesting way to do so, I know. Anyway, an instructor was standing just over knee-deep in the water tossing the grenades into the water to knock out the lobsters....

Ok, so as he is doing this, those of us students that were there were in an inflatable boat. We would jump in grab the lobsters and throw them into a box we had in the boat. So we are waiting and hear the instructor comment, "what the ****?" and he looks around his legs and sees nothing. He said, "I felt something very large rub across me twice now." But we all see nothing. A few seconds later he yells "Holy ****!!!" We look and there was about a 3 or 4 foot Tiger Shark swimming around his legs! He damn near walked on water. I have never seen someone run out of the water so fast. It was hilarious because we were students and he was an instructor. Needless to say we went ashore from that point as well. That night we had some good lobster and a story for dinner! Those were the good ol days...

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0927-2.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

N

That's AMAZING!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom