Sharm El Sheikh Shark Attack - rumour control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm heading to Lahami bay at the end of December... what do you guys think? Any news about incidents out there?

I found this picture apparently showing a rescue in one of recent the incidents. I do not know which one. You can see someone lying dow with what seem to be blood on the legs.

You need to stop worrying. The chances of even seeing a shark in the distance are vanishingly small there.

I found this picture apparently showing a rescue in one of recent the incidents. I do not know which one. You can see someone lying dow with what seem to be blood on the legs.

Sharkattack.jpg

I repeat - there was no shark involved in the Danish "attack" - i am not accusing anybody of lying - just simple facts.

crowley, your posts have been very informative and intelligently written, so maybe this is why there is so much confusion over the danes. are you saying that there was no shark seen during the whole time that the danes were underwater? or are you saying that there was no shark attack, so yes there was a shark which scared them enough to panic, but the shark didn't actually attack them?

who is telling you the information on this particular case? the egyptian guide or did the danes themselves retract their information?

thank you if you could clear this up properly.

'tourist infested' waters

I enjoyed and agreed with the first paragraph entirely, and you're right in that a shark acts very much like a dog. The first rule of a big shark encounter is to stand your ground and personally, I've found that swimming at it calmly also sends it off in another direction.

That said, we hear the words 'shark infested waters' far too often in the media and it's a term that doesn't sit well with me at all. I think you're far closer to the mark.

Still I thing the Egytians are fare more happy to see tourists then sharks on their beaches..:wink:

I am sure meetings with sharks are fare safer if you are calm and acting as you say in your post above. But you can not expect regular tourist to be prepared for this.

This time next week I will be in Sharm el Sheikh. I understand that the diving re opened today (50+ logged dives required) therefore we are still planning to dive. I would like to know if the boats are actually going out or is diving service extremely limited or not happening due to lack of customers ???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom