Sharm El Sheikh Shark Attack - rumour control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been told that it is only advisory to keep out of the sea and that people are back in the sea swimming and snorkelling from shore - is that your experience too.

I wasn't looking for any advice official or otherwise. I wanted to know if people are back in the sea swimming and snorkelling (which I have been advised). I suspect that CDWS will not be so stupid to declare the sea safe at anytime in the near future if ever, so it's going to be an individual's personal decision. In Australia they put up signs warning of sharks which people mostly ignore as they know the authorities need to cover their arses.

I wasn't looking for any advice official or otherwise. I wanted to know if people are back in the sea swimming and snorkelling (which I have been advised). I suspect that CDWS will not be so stupid to declare the sea safe at anytime in the near future if ever, so it's going to be an individual's personal decision. In Australia they put up signs warning of sharks which people mostly ignore as they know the authorities need to cover their arses.

Yep, personal decision.

I don't know what I would have done in the same situation.

I have no problem at all (on the contrary) diving with sharks, but I must admit that the shark attack incidents last week are so strange and out of regular statistics that it gave me second thoughts about snorkeling between dives (which I love and used to do always in places like Elphinstone, Ras Mohammed etc.).

So I guess sometimes it is better to be prudent regardless of authorities ass covering, after all it is you in the water taking the risk of being tasted by a cute, sleek looking shark.

If you have by chance a copy of Jacques Cousteau's book (I think it is called "The silent world"- highly recommended!) then you should read his own personal account of meeting the Oceanic White Tips during his famous Red Sea exploration.

Hi, I'm new to the forum. 10 dive novice. Thanks to everyone for posting on this topic, I've been surfing a lot over the last days, and the subject matter I've found on this forum is the most informative and intelligent by some distance. Daggad, thanks for posting the image on page 3 of this thread, I know this spot precisely because I've spent more than 200 hours snorkelling from this jetty. Where did you find this picture? Can you guys advise me, I will return again on Dec 29 - should I continue snorkelling from here?

WARNING - Shocking. Here's one of the victims straight after the attack.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moderator warning. The photograph contained within this link is horrific. You will have to copy the link to your browser and remove the word DOT that I added in the link and place it with a dot (period)

www.allvoices DOT com/contributed-news/7502574-update-shark-eats-parties-four-tourists-beaches-sharm-elsheikh]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say that despite the official mis-information being promulgated I would be wary of entering those waters until the offending shark(s) is/are found. As that is pretty unlikely, a month or so of no attacks might convince me, so long as that silence really means there were no attacks and not just that news of attacks was suppressed.

Back
Top Bottom