Sharm El Sheikh Shark Attack - rumour control

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Think* that's the French lady at St John's last year (bitten while snorkelling by an OWT).

Highly inappropriate to post such a tasteless image here nonetheless.

J

That photo is the lady killed in the attack last year at Elphinstone - the liveaboards who were feeding the sharks are being prosecuted.

I agree that it is not right to post this material here, and have asked for it to be removed, with respect to the deceased and her family.

Thanks

Crowley

OMG! I didn't realise anyone had died at Elphinstone.

Here in Belize I have long tried to stop people feeding sharks, but so long as they get customers who want to see it they'll continue to do it. Even a tragedy like these won't stop them. Only legislation will, and that will be widely resisted and ignored.

OMG! I didn't realise anyone had died at Elphinstone.

Here in Belize I have long tried to stop people feeding sharks, but so long as they get customers who want to see it they'll continue to do it. Even a tragedy like these won't stop them. Only legislation will, and that will be widely resisted and ignored.

It is very sad. Too many divers have died at Elphinstone- the vast majority had nothing to do with sharks :shakehead:

That photo is the lady killed in the attack last year at Elphinstone - the liveaboards who were feeding the sharks are being prosecuted.

I agree that it is not right to post this material here, and have asked for it to be removed, with respect to the deceased and her family.

Thanks

Crowley

Crowley, are you sure this was at Elphinstone? My only recollection of fatalities by shark attack in the red sea last year was the french lady at St John's. Perhaps I've gotten confused. Was there a further attack/fatality that I missed?

Thx,
J

Crowley, are you sure this was at Elphinstone? My only recollection of fatalities by shark attack in the red sea last year was the french lady at St John's. Perhaps I've gotten confused. Was there a further attack/fatality that I missed?

Thx,
J

I think you're right. There was one last year and it was in St Johns, not Elphinstone. I don't think anyone has been killed by a shark there, but there has been other diving related fatalities.

My mistake sorry, the french lady was killed at St. John's reef, Not Elphinstone... getting my incidents mixed. Elphinstone is a place where the oceanics are often found. I'm not 100% familiar with the south, so happy to stand corrected.

Cheers

C.

Hi Crowley,

What's the feeling on the ground there at the moment? Still trepidation? How's the diving - still serene and pleasantly quiet or are people starting to make their way back in now?

Water still closed to bathers/snorkellers? Are they any closer to tracking the supposed remaining prowling female?

Cheers,
John

It's a little odd at the moment. We are still busy due to our customer base this time of year, and yes, the divers are returning to other centres as well. Tiran wa actually quite busy yesterday. The shore is still closed and diving is only permitted to people with more than 50 dives - the theory being that they will spend less time faffing about at the surface and are, in theory, less prone to panic or would at least be able to deal with an emergency exit in a relatively calm and orderly fashion.

The local dive sites north of na'ama bay (The Gardens up to Ghamila) remain closed to divers since this area is where the attacks took place and for some reason at least one oceanic is (or was) hanging about there. One seems to be lurking at Shark and Yolanda at the moment and has been sighted there a few times.

For the record - only two sharks have been caught and killed - the two in the picture that String kindly posted here. Again, I have this on good authority from somebody involved, and despite rumours and the alleged offers of one month's salary to boat crews who catch it, no other sharks have been killed.

I will admit to feeling a little un-nerved at times in the water. As per my "day in the life" post, I did have a loss of nerves when faced with the possibility I might be jumping on my own with two oceanics underneath me, but I went to Shark and Yolanda next morning with no worries, and yes, my head is swivelling around into the blue a lot more at the moment, but my air consumption has remained normal!! :D

It has settled down a bit - there was almost rioting on the beach the other day because tourists can't get into the water but there's nothing we can do and I think it's very sensible to keep them out at the moment, actually. The chances of a shark pootling into the shallows in Na'ama bay might be slim, but so were the chances of an oceanic killing somebody in water about the depth of a good bath tub. Sharks do get as far as the 18m house reef from time to time - a grey reef shark was seen there last month, although it is extremely rare.

"Experts" are still in the area and we await their reports but so far the information about probable cause is nothing we haven't already discussed on this forum; overfishing, fish feeding activities and dead sheep. The unseasonably warm water is, I think, a bit of a red herring. Yes it's a bit warmer than last year, but only by a few weeks' difference, and it's starting to drop rapidly; 26C in Tiran yesterday.

That's the way it is at the moment - we are waiting to see what the turn-around in holidays will do for us - the big arrivals and departures are on Saturdays so we shall see what next week holds.

We are still relocating customers to Dahab and I see some of the other big names there also, but we do have to charge the customers extra and for sure some are not willing to pay the surcharges. Yes, it would be nice to offer it for free, and I think other centres might be doing that, but it's a no-brainer in the end.

I should have some time tomorrow to talk with some people in the know - if I do I will update here.

Cheers

C.

Back in the mid 80s a shark sighting near Naama Bay was a big deal. We would occasionally see one or two underneath the school of jacks at Shark Reef. I always thought some Israeli PR guy invented the name Shark Observatory out of the blue, because in many many dives I never saw a shark there. In a dozen Red Sea trips, the only oceanic whitetip I ever saw was calmly hanging in the shade right underneath the boat at Little Brother. That was in the film days, and I was out out of film. Of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom