Sharp chest pain after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if your doc found no signs of cardiac issues (assuming an EKG?), then the diagnosis is likely correct. Many acid reflux, digestive system gas and such issues may "feel" like a heart issue. In my EMT days, I've taken many a person to the ER for indigestion.
That said, I am not a doctor and am not giving medical advice. Check with DAN and get a FULL physical. It is worthwhile to get medical clearance for diving.

What were the profiles for these dives? A PFO can exacerbate decompression related problems. Granted the first time you experienced pain was in the pool and your checkout dive was most likely shallow and brief, however, I don't think it's enough to rule out a PFO (Patent Foramen Ovale). I'm not a doctor, and this is probably not it anyway - however, I strongly suggest mentioning this, it's frequently overlooked and could potentially be a source of diving related pain in that area of the body.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree that a doctor is a good idea, but it isn't necessarily scary news. I once had pain like that and felt sure it must be a heart attack. Saw a doctor. Turns out I was just returning to a very labor-intensive job after a year at home and it was just muscles announcing their displeasure. According to the doc it was shoulder and back pain that radiated such that I misjudged it's site of origin. Made me think that just starting to lug and wear scuba gear is quite a muscle strain.

Also wonder if you are eating anything unusual on diving days. Gall bladder pain has made many people think they were having a heart attack. I'm no doctor but a doc could probably list several dozen more cases where the pain had a surprising origin/cause.

Hi all,

I am new to diving and was just certified over the weekend. I took a two week course- first week did pool dives twice a week, then last week, we did two pool dives and then four open water dives this past weekend (two on Saturday, two on Sunday).

The day after my 2nd class, I had about 6 very painful sharp shooting pains in my chest, and it hurt to breath while this pain was happening. The pain only lasts about 5-10 seconds. This happened three times earlier in the day and three times later in the day, totaling 6. After that day I didn't have anymore so I excused it.

I completed my course yesterday, Sunday, and woke up many times in the middle of the night last night with this same shooting pain. I tossed and turned to see if it would help, but the sharp shooting pains reoccurred at least 5 times. Again, I was so tired from my dives so I'm not sure what time last night that these occurred. When the sharps are not happening, I don't have any shortness of breath or chest pain.

My instructors stressed that we seek medical attention if we have any pain, doesn't matter if it was a day after diving. So today I went to the doctor. She seemed somewhat clueless, asked me if I had eaten spicy food, smoked or drank this week- which I have not done any of those things. She gave me a chest X-ray, was all clear and said I probably had an esophageal spasm and should take some tums. To me that sounded completely incorrect. The pain seemed to be coming from my heart or lungs, and was on the left side of my chest and was not bearable.

I am an active, healthy, female. To my understanding I was doing all of my skills correctly. My husband spends a lot of time diving for work (military) so he advised me to go to the doctor as well.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Could there have been something going on in my chest that passed before the X-ray was taken?

I agree with TSandM. This sounds a lot like an intercostal muscle strain or spasm. Of course if it occurs again and/or becomes bothersome you should seek medical attention immediately.

What were the profiles for these dives? A PFO can exacerbate decompression related problems. Granted the first time you experienced pain was in the pool and your checkout dive was most likely shallow and brief, however, I don't think it's enough to rule out a PFO (Patent Foramen Ovale). I'm not a doctor, and this is probably not it anyway - however, I strongly suggest mentioning this, it's frequently overlooked and could potentially be a source of diving related pain in that area of the body.

I don't want to be "that guy" but pain like this is not associated with PFO. Maybe if it was severe, unrelenting abdominal/pelvic girdle pain with neurological symptoms, but that's not what the OP described. Dives in the average pool are not enough to produce venous bubbling, so no shunting could occur.

I don't want to be "that guy" but pain like this is not associated with PFO. Maybe if it was severe, unrelenting abdominal/pelvic girdle pain with neurological symptoms, but that's not what the OP described. Dives in the average pool are not enough to produce venous bubbling, so no shunting could occur.

I think you have a much, much better handle on probably causes than I do. As I said, I'm not a doctor, nor medically trained. The suggestion came from the location in the body, and the fact they're much more common that one might think, yet frequently overlooked.

Thanks for clarifying.

Um, and I'd much rather diving physiological questions get answered by someone at Duke than myself - even if you just clean their toilets, probably still a better resource than I am! Lol.

Hi Bug, I didn't intend any offense by that at all, I hope you didn't take it that way. FWIW I clean a fair few toilets here ;-)

Haha, none taken - and none intended either. If you're on scuba board and easily offended, well, you should find a new place to hangout....

Back
Top Bottom