Shearwater transmitter failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What
Joining the "my transmitter died" party. My Shearwater Swift transmitter died at the very start of my recent Key Largo trip (lost data for seven dives in total) with only 14 dives on it.

Weirdly it connected a couple of times when on the boat and regs were pressurized (showing tank pressure), then after a few seconds said lost comms before never regaining signal. It didn't seem to matter how close my transmitter was to my Teric (either on the surface or while diving).

I got the local Shearwater store to replace the battery, and still no dice. I reached out to Dive-tronix and they've been super helpful - RMA-ing me a new unit expedited so it'll hopefully be here before my Hawaii trip at the end of this week.

One data point - I've been using mine on a 6" HP hose off my first stage (Apeks DST), and when I removed the Swift transmitter to mail it off there was a dot of water on the very end of the transmitter - so not sure if water somehow got in?!

All hoses etc. were tightened to just past finger tight, and I had a spool in the end of the 6" hose between the Swift and the end of the HP hose. I'm baffled.

I'm hoping I can get some info from Dive-tronix on why it failed - I'll report back here if I do.
what do you mean by losing data on 7 dives?
Are you saying you did not get starting and ending tank pressure?

My first time diving with someone using AI was during my nitrox class dives, I think 2004. I buddied with a guy in my class who used one. I think it was scubapro, though the brand doesn't matter & not what grabbed me.

We geared up & got ready to dive & his transmitter wouldn't sync. he had no idea how much gas was in his tank.

That's what grabbed me.

He decided to do the dive anyway & take his chances, but to me it said "if you use one, have a real SPG anyway just in case"

My comp was not AI, so it really wasn't an issue for me. But the failure did stick with me.
Which is exactly why I have a regular old SPG just in case this happens :)

what do you mean by losing data on 7 dives?
Are you saying you did not get starting and ending tank pressure?
Ah sorry, I wasn't very precise in my language there - I mean losing detailed air consumption/SAC rate data over the course of the dive. I'm still a relatively new diver, and so working on my air consumption both in the first 10-15mins of dives and also on deeper dives. Used my SPG for start/end and during the dive but as mentioned the Swift would occasionally flash start pressure, but then "Lost Comms" immediately thereafter.

Which is exactly why I have a regular old SPG just in case this happens :)

Ah sorry, I wasn't very precise in my language there - I mean losing detailed air consumption/SAC rate data over the course of the dive. I'm still a relatively new diver, and so working on my air consumption both in the first 10-15mins of dives and also on deeper dives. Used my SPG for start/end and during the dive but as mentioned the Swift would occasionally flash start pressure, but then "Lost Comms" immediately thereafter.
Of course. I agree, it is helpful to track your SAC/RMV and compare different environments, how you felt, what you were doing during the dive, especially early in your diving experience. Since you have your SPG, your SAC can be easily calculated for each dove. That is what I did before I got my first AI computer.
I had one transmitter failure in the past, however, I had a spare one in my save-a-dive kit.

Yup - it's good to still get the average figure, but I have noticed I'm particularly "gas hungry" at the beginning of dives, or when task loaded, so I'm really trying to work on that as much as possible! If I see any Swift transmitters on sale I might get one as a backup.

Am I right in thinking almost all transmitters work with the Teric (Pelagic, Aqualung etc.)? Wondering if I can save a little for a backup option.

My first time diving with someone using AI was during my nitrox class dives, I think 2004. I buddied with a guy in my class who used one. I think it was scubapro, though the brand doesn't matter & not what grabbed me.

We geared up & got ready to dive & his transmitter wouldn't sync. he had no idea how much gas was in his tank.

That's what grabbed me.

He decided to do the dive anyway & take his chances, but to me it said "if you use one, have a real SPG anyway just in case"

My comp was not AI, so it really wasn't an issue for me. But the failure did stick with me.
Yeah, that's unusual. No way I would do a dive if I couldn't tell my tank pressure. I bring a spare SPG with me in my save a dive kit. I can swap it out if needed in just a few minutes.

Am I right in thinking almost all transmitters work with the Teric (Pelagic, Aqualung etc.)? Wondering if I can save a little for a backup option.
Sort of. Many transmitters will work with the Teric. They are all either made by PPS or by Shearwater. They could be branded as Shearwater, Oceanic, Aqualung, Sherwood, and a few others. Either a Shearwater Swift, or a transmitter with FCC ID MH8A will work.

It's almost easier to remember which ones won't work. Scubapro, Suunto, Garmin, & Ratio are all proprietary transmitters so won't work with the Teric.

THIS^^^
Yes.
The Swift is overpriced and apparently not reliable.

THIS^^^
Yes.
The Swift is overpriced and apparently not reliable.
FWIW Dive-tronix told me there were some early production issues with the OPV causing failures in Swifts - so I'm hoping my new one will (they shipped a replacement to me) will be a later production unit without that issue.

My Swift's OPV failed today after only 3 dives on it. The black plug popped out and was leaking air. Interestingly, I bought two, the one that failed had an earlier serial. It sounds like a production issue on the earlier ones based on the thread here. Divetronix, Shearwater's service provider in Washington, has been stellar and quick to send a replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_0287 (1).jpg
    IMG_0287 (1).jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 83
Jumping in with a Swift OPV failure. Went to prep my wife’s reg set for the upcoming Invasion and greeted by air flowing out of the transmitter. Bizarre as it had worked well last trip, but looking at it the OPV is gone. Worst yet, opened it and had clearly been flooded. :( Have an email into Shearwater to see what options are, but not terribly hopeful.

IMG_2312.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom