Shelf Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter69_56

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am about to purchase a Nitrox and a CO analyser.

What is the shelf life of these products before it starts eating into the sensor life?

Are they sealed to a point where they remain ok until at least first used?

How should they be stored to extend sensor life as much as possible?

Do you have any analysers that would be better for me than a Nitrox and a CO analyser individually?

O2 sensors are consumable. i.e. once mfg they start to degrade. That is why one should never buy a spare. Buy a new sensor when you need it. The guaranteed life of Analox O2 sensors is three years:

http://www.analox.net/product-docs/manual-13.pdf

7.0 Warranty Information
We provide the following warranties for the Analox O2 EII®:
A 3 year electronics warranty.
A 3 year graded sensor warranty.
1 year Free replacement
12 to 18 months 75% credit towards a replacement sensor
18 to 24 months 50% credit towards a replacement sensor
24 to 36 months 25% credit towards a replacement sensor

I have had mine last over 4 years by always using the sensor savor cap.

The CO sensor is guarantee is 1 year:

http://www.analox.net/product-docs/manual-91.pdf

9.0 Warranty Information
We provide the following Warranties for the EII CO:
A 3 year electronics warranty.
A 1 year sensor warranty.

I have had mine last over 2 years now. The sensor saver cap does not matter.

My suggestion when buying a O2 checker is to open it up and look at the sensor date. If more than year old I would ask for a discount of 10% or more depending on the actual age.

I keep my O2 analyzer capped and in a Pelican box to reduce exposure and extend life. CO sensors don't need caps.

I once got a bargain on an O2 sensor, then learned why it was discounted. Analox gave me a discount on the next replacement since it hadn't lasted long. Now I buy sensors direct from them.

Last edited:
so a CO sensor is a yearly change or there abouts? Whats the replacement cost?

so a CO sensor is a yearly change or there abouts? Whats the replacement cost?
Oh, no - the sensor is guaranteed for a year, but should last a few. Patti is the manufacturer rep/VP who can give you better answers. That office is closed until after the New Years holiday, but she should be back within a week.

Oh, no - the sensor is guaranteed for a year, but should last a few. Patti is the manufacturer rep/VP who can give you better answers. That office is closed until after the New Years holiday, but she should be back within a week.

What's the expected usage life for a Nx analyser then if you use a sensor saver cap, maybe 5 years? Do they come with a sensor saver cap?

What's the expected usage life for a Nx analyser then if you use a sensor saver cap, maybe 5 years? Do they come with a sensor saver cap?
The O2 analyzer can be packaged with the cap or have it as an option. I have no idea what the suppliers over there are going. I don't remember how long I got on my first sensor, but longevity would depend on use, exposure, and how deligent you are about replace the cap and packing it an air tight box. You'll get better answers when Patti comes in late this week.

Patti,

What's the expected usage life for a Nx analyser then if you use a sensor saver cap, maybe 5 years? Do they come with a sensor saver cap? What about the CO2 analyser, whats the shelf life of them too.

My concern is that I go buy one that's been on the shelf for say 3 years, how long will it last? Whats the approximate cost for a new sensor so I can understand what discount I should get?

The O2 EII come with sensor saver cap and as I noted in my post above my O2 lasted well over 4 year before I replaced the sensor. The replacement 02 sensors are around $120.

I am not sure folks have needed to replace their CO sensors yet but seems like in discussions we should be able to get 3-4 years out of them. The CO sensors are similar in cost to the O2 sensors.

Hi Divers!!!
Scared Silly and Dandy Don...you two are due some Analox SWAG!! Thank you for your accurate and informative responses!

Ok here's the skinny: O2 Sensor is the O2EII will generally last a minimum of three years, I have personally seen them last as long as 5 years, however this is NOT to be expected! Yes the sensor saver does aid in stretching the sensor life. Sensor Savers are provided free with every O2EII.

CO sensor in the EIICO should last two years. We recommend sensor replacement at the two year point. This being said I do have some divers reporting a positive bump test on a three year old sensor. Analox does not recommend trying to squeeze any more life than that out of a CO sensor and you MUST get a positive bump test (reactive to a small amount of CO) prior to each and every tank test. It's your life...choose carefully where you want to save money! Lastly, no sensor saver cap here as the sensor in storage is not likely exposed to CO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom