Shell Collecting/Live Collection/Endangered Species

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charonia variegata, common name : the Atlantic triton

Not sure crown of thorns are their yet either and I hope they never are. As far as I know they are in the Indian and Pacific oceans. But then the Lion fish was also a Indian and Pacific Ocean fish too, now it is in the Atlantic and has no predators except for man and maybe grouper.

I think the term trumpet applies to the triton species because they were/are used as trumpets by native people in the Pacific. I think is a common name used for all the triton's vs a specific one.

I don't really know either if Crown of Thorns are in the Atlantic/Caribbean. I thought they were. I also recall a diver saying he took one while diving in Alabama. But I admit I'm not sure. Maybe the person mentioning it to me (as the reason for me not taking a Triton's Trumpet) isn't sure either. I guess Google might work. As far as the name--Atlantic Triton's Trumpet (and Pacific Triton's Trumpet, I believe) are the specific common names of the 2 shells. The Pacific one can grow to 18" while the Atlantic only gets to 15". These are the ones people used to actually use as "trumpets", though there are others that were used--the Queen Conch and I think the Chank Shell, to name 2. Conch is another funny name in that people tend to refer to a whole bunch of larger gastropds as "conchs", whereas true conchs (the Strombus family) are a specific related group. Horse Conchs, Crown Conchs and Pear Conchs (which are actually Pear Whelks), to name 3, are not of the Conch family.

g1138, I understand all of what you are saying. And you are describing "scientific" in it's formal and true meaning. The word is probably used incorrectly all the time to describe acts that really are not scientific at all. I suppose I am one of the offenders. I do apologize to those dedicated few who do the good work of science. I guess my frustrations over years led me to using this term in the hopes of improving my chances to collect, but as stated, I doubt it has anyway. The only other thing I can comment on in your post is about depleting the population of endangered species. You'll have to trust me that I never "overcollect". Your knowledge is appreciated. One of my "rant" frustrations of course are the majority of divers critical of my collecting who know nothing about shell populations. "Overkill" you might say. But that's just the way things are.

I don't mean to blast you or try to take any respect or reputation from you.
We all have our opinions. I like to state mine just as much as anyone else.
I do appreciate you taking the time to read everything everyone has posted.
I hope the next time anyone questions you, you can explain to them your reasonings. What ever it is you truly believe.

Have a fun and safe trip.

g1138, Thanks very much. Oh, I did Google "Crown of Thorns" and found nothing saying it's in the Atlantic or Caribbean (yet??) The closest it comes is the West Coast of Panama--so let's hope it doesn't hop through the canal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom