Sherwood Brut Free flow question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ML2010

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a two year old Brut regulator (Purchased new, maintained properly and serviced annually). It has free flowed from the second stage on the surface a few times, and at 35 feet in the caribbean once. I had it serviced again after the free flow at 35 feet. The shop reported it was in good condition and that they had adjusted the second stage slightly. This past week in Nova Scotia the second stage free flowed on the surface again. When I enquired about surface (On the boat) free flows on Scuba Board last year several divers suggested either not pressing the purge valve on the surface (Which I had done) or if I wanted to do so to have a hand or thumb over the mouth piece to create back pressure to avoid a venturi effect. Another suggested exhaling to test the reg might be a better procedure. So thats what I did-and it free flowed. The thumb, then full hand didn't stop the flow, I had to turn off the tank. The reg was OK in the water after that, but I want to know if you think there is a problem. I don't want to feel anxious about my reg on every dive, and I don't want to dive the reg if it is unsafe. Both the shops here in Calgary that have done the service are reputable businesses. What do you recommend? Feel free to tell me to relax if I am worrying about something routine.

Back
Top Bottom