Sherwood Oasis second is supposed to trail bubbles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get the 1st rebuilt because water has been inside the 1st stage where it shouldn't be, and after sitting unused with this condition there is probably damage.

How do you know that water has been inside the 1st stage?

the dry bleed works by continuously flowing a small amount of air, the rubber cap is supposed to be a one way valve, but if the inside is not under pressure then water can get inside of the first stage and stay there because the cap won't allow it to flow out.

Oh, I do believe that is the first stage that came with the Magnus series. Call John at Northeast Scuba if you need parts/pistons for them, I believe he has them.

Just to be clear, my OP said that IF the reg doesn't have bubbles coming out. I didn't say that it doesn't. My buddy doesn't know yet. The LDS guy was just forewarning him of the possibility. The reg has been stored for a while and not serviced, tested, or attempted to be used - until now, when it has been dropped off to be serviced.

So, I believe it was working fine when it was last used, and I would guess that my buddy stored it properly. So, I gather there is not a reason (at least, not known to me yet) to think water would have been inside the 1st stage?

Annnnd, once again, thanks for all the help!

How do you know that water has been inside the 1st stage?

When the dry bleed doesn't work, sea water leaks in on the balance piston where it does not belong. This will cause corrosion and other problems. Sherwood's are tough and will continue to work, however the longer it operates not as it was designed, the more damage can happen internally to the point it can not be repaired at all.
Although all regs should be soaked under pressure, it is extremely important that the Sherwood dry bleed regs are, for this reason.

Bob

ps
If you want more info on the reg, look on frogkick.dk for the service manual and do some light reading.

Cheers bob

Last edited:
Short version:

A LDS says that an older Sherwood Oasis second stage should have a tiny stream of bubbles coming from it, otherwise it needs a rebuild. True? Or BS?

Long version:

A buddy of mine hasn't been diving in a few years, but we are meeting in Hawaii in March and planning to dive while there. So, he is being smart and got all his gear out of the closet and took it to his LDS to get serviced. His LDS has changed owners since he was last there, so he doesn't know the guy who is running it now. He primary second stage is a Sherwood Oasis that he has had for years (not really sure how long, but I'll guess 10 or more).

The guy at the LDS told him that those should trail a tiny stream of bubbles and if his doesn't, it will need a full rebuild, versus just an ordinary service. My buddy is a very meticulous person. He said that when he was diving before, he and his buddy would ALWAYS do a leak check on each other as soon as they got in the water, and that this reg never had any bubbles coming off it before (obviously, other than his exhaust). So, he's skeptical of what the guy at the LDS told him.

Do any of you know about the Sherwood Oasis and whether the LDS is telling him the truth or just setting him up for a nice New Customer Fee?

Thanks!

First, of course has the tiny stream of air to come from the 1st stage.

Then would it be interesting which Oasis you are writing about. Is it a SRB3500, SRB3700 or a SRB5700?

Concerning the 1st stages that makes a difference.

The SRB 3500 and SRB3700 are the ones which have the piston with the integrated sinter filter.

If it is one of those models and the filter is clogged, then better look for another model because Sherwood is not supporting anymore those kind of pistons. You would have to check somewhere else.

On the other hand the SRB5700 Oasis has a flow restrictor, which is a screw with a laser drilled orifice and a filter, which every Sherwood dealer should be able to get for your regulator, I have always a couple of them. They are relatively expensive but it is impossible to clean those screws, the orifice is too tiny.

When the sinter filter of the piston or the flow restrictor is blocked and no air can pass anymore through the main spring chamber and the dry bleed valve into the open, it usually means you need a service as well as the change of the the piston/flow restrictor, because water has entered the main spring chamber.

Good luck:)

Although all regs should be soaked under pressure

If one is a person like me that travels to warmwater to dive and doesn't even own tanks, how does one accomplish soaking one's regs while under pressure?

Maybe I should just be making sure I only buy sealed diaphgragm 1st stage regs, so they will be okay with only soaking them not under pressure?

---------- Post added January 27th, 2015 at 03:29 PM ----------

Then would it be interesting which Oasis you are writing about. Is it a SRB3500, SRB3700 or a SRB5700?

I don't know those details. The reg set in question belongs to my friend. The reason for posting the OP was just to make sure the LDS he took them to isn't feeding him a line so they can sell him something he doesn't need. After what everyone has said, it seems like they were being straight with him, so I guess all is well and now he just waits to see what they find when they service his regs.

regarding soaking ones tanks, you should consider buying a cheap used tank on craigslist and just using it for cleaning gear and checking IP prior to dive trips. They are less than $100 for an AL80 or 30/40 etc, cheaper for a LP72 usually. No reason not to own at least one.

I am working on getting a decent used tank, when I can spot one for cheap. I was really just wondering if there's a good answer other than "buy a tank".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom