Sherwood Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shogan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to pick up a couple sets of inexpensive regulators. Warm Water, fresh and salt use.

I've decided on Sherwood based upon the all the reading that indicates their easy maintence, less expensive parts, and simple tough design.

My question is are all of their models easy to maintain and tough or just some of them.

pretty much all models are true work horses, the brut is one of my favorites along with the maximis. You will most likely hear alot of different opinons on this board but my 2 psi worth says you can't go wrong with a good sherwood reg.

Not all Sherwoods are alike but most are similar. I would go after either the Magnum or Maximus. Some of the others had some oddball parts or in the case of the Brut it is not balanced like the Magnum and Maximus. The new SR-1 is a real oddball and I would avoid it.

I was in Cozumel and just hanging around the dive shop one afternoon, (actually every afternoon) and I asked what's the best bang dor the buck reg. Everyone agreed it was the Sherwood brute, easy to maintain, reliable, very inexpensive.

i have the new sr1 and i have amixed opinion off it after 40 dives: after only 5 dives i pressed the front presue release to hard and "pushed my thumb right through it and the rubber split" had an arument with the supplyer who "maintAINED THIS HAD NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE! " on the 9th dive i notice i got a little water in at 27mt, i changed to my alternate and inspected my sr1 and found the "EXHAUST MANIFOLD HAD COME OFF" in all fairness i must have caught it on the boat seat but still it should not have come off. againthe supplyer " MAINTAINED THIS HAD NEVER HAPPENEND BEFORE" ON MY 25TH DIVE AT THE BUDDY CHECK THE FIRST STAGE FAILED AND SHOT AIR AT FULL TANK PRESUE LIKE BULLETS POP POP POP REALLY FREAKED ME OUT. had it inspected imediatly and they found that the piston was sticking ' AS THIER WAS no silicon grease"

this has made me untrusting of thr equipment , but i am still diving with it, i like it as it is compact and ice in the mouth, seems to deliver good flow but i am still weary and considering replaceing it.

i have the new sr1 and i have amixed opinion off it after 40 dives: after only 5 dives i pressed the front presue release to hard and "pushed my thumb right through it and the rubber split" had an arument with the supplyer who "maintAINED THIS HAD NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE! " on the 9th dive i notice i got a little water in at 27mt, i changed to my alternate and inspected my sr1 and found the "EXHAUST MANIFOLD HAD COME OFF" in all fairness i must have caught it on the boat seat but still it should not have come off. againthe supplyer " MAINTAINED THIS HAD NEVER HAPPENEND BEFORE" ON MY 25TH DIVE AT THE BUDDY CHECK THE FIRST STAGE FAILED AND SHOT AIR AT FULL TANK PRESUE LIKE BULLETS POP POP POP REALLY FREAKED ME OUT. had it inspected imediatly and they found that the piston was sticking ' AS THIER WAS no silicon grease"

this has made me untrusting of thr equipment , but i am still diving with it, i like it as it is compact and ice in the mouth, seems to deliver good flow but i am still weary and considering replaceing it.

Sorry to hear you have had some unfortunate experiences with the SR1. I have owned mine now for approx 8 months and have used it on approx 20 dives thus far.. the only prob I did have was exactly what you had with the purge cover splitting... my LDS replaced it free of charge (obviously) and I didn't have any grief from them...

I am pretty impressed with the SR1 and have had it down to 100ft (30m) on a wreck here in NZ... it's lightweight, I don't get jaw fatigue, it breathes real easy, and looks good to boot!

I'm enjoying my SR1 and believe it was a good purchase.... :D

Is the blizzard an oddball to be avoided

Absolutely not. The Blizzard uses the same first stage as the Oasis (also Magnum and Maximus). The second stage is the same as the Oasis, except a bit of teflon coating on some parts.

Last edited:
i would apreciate if u could expand a little more on the SR1 as i have had some bad experiences with it

thanks

mark

Mark,
Look under Sherwood in the Q&A for manufacturers forum. There is a thread about "SR1's blowing up". Sherwood rep claims that they have the problems solved, but keep in mind that Sherwood wants to sell regs.

Back
Top Bottom