Sherwood Vs. Dive Community

Sherwood or Aqualung?

• Sherwood

Votes: 35 58.3%
  • Aqualung

Votes: 25 41.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeliciousBrownTaste

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently started working at sports challet in the SCUBA dpt and I am, basically for the first time, talking to people about gear. I'm not as experienced as the next guy, but I am on my way to Rescue, because I'm aiming to do some sort of diving job. Anyways most people except like two people who I'm friends with (hoping this isn't the reason) say that Sherwood is trash. Now I realize that all I have from Sherwood is a mask and snorkel, but I don't see how their gear can be so much worse. Is it really that unreliable? I can deal with the warrenty but most people that I've talked to say comparing Sherwood to something like Aqualung is like comparing apples to God. Any notes on this topic? :shakehead:

Ford vs. Chevy? I dunno. I just dive, and I just drive. If you can afford it, and it lasts, it does the job.

Got no complaints form my sherwoods. Got lotsa complaints about the little genesis I own. They are both under the same management now.

I by no means an expert on top of the line gear.
But when I started looking for my own gear a year ago I did do some research and found the following:
1) About half the dive shops in my area stock, rent and recommend Sherwood gear.
2) Of those shops most will discount, matching or even beating internet pricing.
3) Sherwood Regs are well known for great cold water performance. (Blizzard, Oasis and
Maximus)
4) Performance tests of regs show Sherwood to be better than average and tops in log term tests. The rest of their gear seems to be middle of the road or better for the model types.
5) Features to cost ratio is good and can be very good after discounts.
6) Warranty is fairly standard
Calling it trash is just bashing without good cause.
I've found it to be a great value and so far I have no complaints about it's function or reliability. I prefer the integrated weight system found on the Sherwoods to a lot of more expensive BCD. I have the Gemini breathable inflator and agree with the reviews I've read. It's well designed and breaths well. I also use Kinesys EX fins again a fine design ridgid fin that can be had for a bargain price.
Bottom line is there's better gear out there? Sure, better value that's where I'd say Sherwood is strongest. They make a good product and it's competatively priced. Then add in the internet factor and discounts and it is better than average at a bargain price.
At least IMHO

Thank you so much. I just have a couple questions. I hear that their BC's are made of cheap material, is this true or is it just that other companies use over-quality material if that makes sense. Another thing, has anyone tried the Trek fins? The last thing I want to know is, where is the best place to buy them? Should I go to a specific website? Is their a shop near torrance that is good for Sherwood gear? Thanks so much

I dive with a Sherwood second stage....it hasn't been overhauled in probably 10 years or more and lived in the former owner's garage. Still tickin' just fine. I'll replace it soon or overhaul it, before my cave class, because I don't want to trust old rubber in an overhead environment, but it's a great reg and I trust it just fine in OW.

I don't know squat about their BCD's. My take of BC's is that if you rinse them well, they will last longer. Seems like the common issue with them is salt corrosion, and salt buildup. Especially in the power inflator valve, and the low pressure inflator hose snap. Fill them up with water, and run the water out of with both power inflate button pushed, and back flush the valve.

You might look at sites like these for more "objective" opinions:
Buoyancy Compensators - Scuba Diving Magazine

Thank you so much. I just have a couple questions. I hear that their BC's are made of cheap material, is this true or is it just that other companies use over-quality material if that makes sense. Another thing, has anyone tried the Trek fins? The last thing I want to know is, where is the best place to buy them? Should I go to a specific website? Is their a shop near torrance that is good for Sherwood gear? Thanks so much
I see nothing wrong with the way they are made or the materials used. I'd say the materials are the same as used by the majority of manufacturers.
Seems Scuba.com is fairly local to you they are in Irvine. The will also match LeisurePro or any other dealer. I'd say get you best deal locally just to make annual service an easy affair and retain your warranty.
So you can shop online and then go to any local dealer and ask them to price match. Sherwood has a authorized dealer list on their website so I'd use that and see which shops are willing to discount.
So you have an idea how far the discounts can go I purchased my gear for $700
It included:
Sherwood Tortuga w/ factory installed Gemini breathable inflator
and Oasis first and second stage w/ pressure gauge.
This was from a local Sherwood authorized dealer.
The MSRP on the BC w/ Gemini alone is $600 so you can see my point about discounts on this gear.
Good luck with your new toys!
I'm sure what you save on your gear will be enough to make your bashing friends envious.

I am a Sherwood dealer and here is what I know.

1. Customer service is excellent. Their staff takes care of problems quickly and they are great to deal with on a day to day basis.

2. Their regulators are easy to service and if you have a Brut from 15 years ago, you can take it to any Sherwood dealer and they can service it. RAWalker is right...they have excellent cold water performance.

3. I own a Solaris BCD which I love. All their BCDs are great and the Tortuga is my best selling BCD.

4. I can typically beat any internet price, including Leisure Pro. Sherwood works with us and makes it easy for us to compete with anyone.

5. The Wisdom is my best selling computer. Why? Because you can read the numbers underwater very easily without bifocals. (that is for those of us over 40)

6. I am not a huge fan of the Trek fin, but then, I love my Atomic Splits.

Overall, Sherwood makes a solid line of mid-ranged priced equipment. Look to see an upscale verson of their equipment later this year.

Learned to dive on sherwoods regs and I have had them deep, cold, full of silt, pounded on the back of a boat for months at a time and never had a problem. I do an occasional fresh water dive to wash out my gear:D for preventive maintance. But seen other manufactures of the "high end the only reg you should dive with" free flow when the weather was 40 degree f or dive shops not able to repair because either they were not a dealer or had parts. Heck Napa has part for my sherwoods

If you want a reg that you can beat the **** out of and still have it work like new, buy a Sherwood. IMHO their regs don't perform as well as high end regs, but they cost a heck of a lot less. I've had a Blizard down to 150 fsw and it breathed as well as on the surface. The only complaint I have about sherwood regs is that they tend to breathe wet, especially upside down.

Trek fins are trash. On that I can agree with your friends.

Sherwood BCs are very similar in quality to most BCs on the market. They're also cheaper than most BCs. I don't like most BCs. Sherwood is no different.

Anyone who says that Sherwood is trash is just being influenced by the price tag.

Ever notice that most rental regs are Sherwoods. That's because they will take more abuse than other regs.

Back
Top Bottom