Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It does! here's how it works: You fill your head with saline, then someone tells you how much it costs. You immediately shoot the saline and everything else out of your head in one giant spit take!

Most believe that people who shoot saltwater up their nose does nothing more other than make themselves look like a human fountain. Spending more money on this obviously must make it feel and work better! Think moisturizer, make-up, cars etc.

My wife can't even look at me when I use the bottle. She thinks, (quite rightly so, I may add), that I'm nuts. :eyebrow:

Now that is true love! Someone who knows your faults and sticks with you anyway even when they think you are a little crazy.

:thumb:
Because it's too effing hard to get a
post_thanks1.gif
button to work!

OK gang….I’m very fortunate in that I don’t have problems very often with my sinuses. However, my wife and one of my co-workers are not so lucky. I’m going to get each of them a Neil Med bottle and packet set (don’t want to give them the idea just yet re: home remedy) but, the problem I’m going to be faced with is convincing them to give this a try. I sent them the videos and info from Dr. Pynnonen and the Neil Med site, but I want to be prepared for the inevitable. Those of you who were skeptical at first, or had a spouse or friend who was, what was the line of reasoning used to convince them to at least try this? Neither are divers, so they have less motivation than most of you.

Cheers,

Couv

OK gang….I’m very fortunate in that I don’t have problems very often with my sinuses. However, my wife and one of my co-workers are not so lucky. I’m going to get each of them a Neil Med bottle and packet set (don’t want to give them the idea just yet re: home remedy) but, the problem I’m going to be faced with is convincing them to give this a try. I sent them the following videos and info from Dr. Pynnonen, but I want to be prepared for the inevitable. Those of you who were skeptical at first, or had a spouse or friend who was, what was the line of reasoning used to convince them to at least try this? Neither are divers, so they have less motivation than most of you would have.

Cheers,

Couv

Couv:
I would think that anyone with bad sinus issues would give anything a try. Myself included. I do not shoot the water all the time but when I feel the pressure start to build I do. I have for years been sick with them, infections with fever. Running back and forth to dr. office, ent's. I even went through with the surgery on my nose for a deviated septum. That was the most painful thing that I have been through. To this day I have panic attacks when a dr wants to look up my nose or get too close to it. I also have a fear of being hit in the nose. While the surgery stopped the infections for the most part, not as sick as I was, I still cannot sleep on my left side or back, because if I do I can't breath through my nose. I pop ibuprofin like candy, nasal sprays, I should take stock in them as much as I have.

I hope that at least they will try it, it beats running back and forth to the dr. office.

I had chronic infections sometimes 2-3 times a year. Nothing hurts like a sinus infection. I was willing to try anything. The only suggestion I might make is starting with a neti-pot versus the squeeze bottle. For someone not knowing what they are doing, if they try to "blast away" congestion with the squeeze bottle, it may be very uncomfortable. The neti pot just uses gravity feed so there is less likelihood of over pressurizing.

but, the problem I’m going to be faced with is convincing them to give this a try. I sent them the videos and info from Dr. Pynnonen and the Neil Med site, but I want to be prepared for the inevitable. Those of you who were skeptical at first, or had a spouse or friend who was, what was the line of reasoning used to convince them to at least try this? Neither are divers, so they have less motivation than most of you.

Cheers,

Couv

couv, demonstrate it for them live and in person for them. I would try it before hand in case you cough or something the first time. I find that if I make the home brew too strong or the water it too hot or cold, I gag and cough a little. You are using premixed packets so the too strong problem shouldn't befall you. Water temp should be gently warm on the wrist

I would also suggest that they try it for say, two weeks. If it works, great. If not, they have not lost anything..

Update....

I gave a kit to my friend at work…..he hasn’t tried it yet, but promises to this weekend. The other kit I gave to my wife and encouraged her to try it. Often she sleeps almost sitting up in the bed because her sinuses are so bad. However, last night I was listening to how quietly she slept laying flat. I considered it could just be my imagination; but I received this email from her at work this morning, “ xxx, I had the best night's sleep I have had in weeks because of this, thanks, I love YOU, J”

So there you have it. Another addict in the making.

Thanks all, from me and the wife.

c

Last edited:
The one thing that I have not seen mentioned is the fact that the water can and will drain from your nose at the most stangest times. In fact, during my OW check out dives I bent over to pick up something while we were all getting ready and water started to pour from my nose onto the concert pad that we were all standing on. Thankfully no one saw it, only my 12 yr old daughter and I think she about died sitting right there. We both started laughing and giggling about this. How in gods name do you hide water gushing from your nose in front of a bunch of stangers? Another one to chaulk up to the coolest mom in the world. :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom