Shooting salt water up my nose everyday & feeling good! Anybody else doing this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife has chronic sinus infection and her doctor subscribed it as daily maintenance. It is arkward at the beginning but it helps really well.

I know of one freediver who does "sinus flooding" where he trained untill he is able to fill his nose, nose cavity, sinusses, eustachius tube, and inner ear completely with water before a dive. THis way he was able to do a record dive without mask, because he doesn't need any air to compensate his ears and sinusses. Patrick Musimu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some of us are sink people, others shower people, some bottle people, some pot people and a few die hard-hard core tippers (lay on the bed, tip your head back and hang off the bed, fill the passages and let it soak as long as you can stand it, and a few power pic people. :)

I used to be a pot person, but they won't legalize it. Now I just tip one now and then.

sorry USBB, you soooooo left me no other choice.........I tried to stop myself...

Still salty! Still loving it..

I'm a firm believer in daily saline rinses. The preferred solution is natural Maui ocean water. Rinsing action is assisted by a slightly leaky mask and a moustache.

Unfortunately, I have access to the preferred solution only 3 months a year.

On a more serious note, I really do regularly flood my sinuses with ocean water. At first it was accidental. After noting the beneficial effects (less mucus, easier clearing) I will sometimes fill my mask and tip my head back, then do a mask remove and clear at the beginning of a dive.

Well I`ve been rinsing now for about a month and just want to say thank you to all who posted on the topic. I had polyps removed and a deviated septum repaired about a year ago to help with mild sleep apnea. Since that time I`ve often had to use Otrivin before sleep to ensure a solid nights rest. Since I started rinsing the Otrivin use is almost never. So thank you!

On another note I am suffering from some congestion in the upper sinus, after diving off of the diving board which is causing considerable pain. I suspect some type of reverse block. After rinsing both with the neilmed bottle and pouring it down the nostril while on the bed upside down I still can`t get the upper sinus cleaned out. Has anyone had success getting it clear with a rinse technique. By the upper sinus I mean the ones above your eyes at forehead level.
Thanks again

It's supposed to be boiled sterile water with a hint of salt.
Basically home made version of this: Saline (medicine) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For irrigating nasal passages, a non-sterile solution of canning salt and tap water is safe and effective if mixed to create a normal or slightly hypertonic concentration.

Boiling is NOT necessary. :)

Dave C

Well I`ve been rinsing now for about a month and just want to say thank you to all who posted on the topic. I had polyps removed and a deviated septum repaired about a year ago to help with mild sleep apnea. Since that time I`ve often had to use Otrivin before sleep to ensure a solid nights rest. Since I started rinsing the Otrivin use is almost never. So thank you!

On another note I am suffering from some congestion in the upper sinus, after diving off of the diving board which is causing considerable pain. I suspect some type of reverse block. After rinsing both with the neilmed bottle and pouring it down the nostril while on the bed upside down I still can`t get the upper sinus cleaned out. Has anyone had success getting it clear with a rinse technique. By the upper sinus I mean the ones above your eyes at forehead level.
Thanks again

Here's a link to my post in this thread describing how I use positive pressure to partially fill some of my sinus cavities with the saline solution.

I find positive pressure is quite effective in partially filling and clearing my sinuses. Perhaps it would help your situation. :)

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5137893-post214.html

Dave C

Dave is correct. Canning salt which does not have any additives, iodine or anti caking agents is the stuff to use. Regular tap water is fine too without boiling If it is safe for drinking, it is safe for rinsing.

As far as the blockage goes, I find that when I am really congested that I need to rinse several times in a row and do that multiple times per day. It doesn't happen very often. Try the head tip method and let it soak with luke warm water as long as you can stand. Roll over, blow your nose and repeat a few more time. Each time you are likely to only dissolve or loosen a tiny bit of snot, but gentile persistent rinsing will help remove it.

Sleepr you story is not unusual. There are tons of people who once they started rinsing have been able to go off meds that they were totally dependent on just to be able to breath and function. I am one of those folks too.

I never would have believed it if I hadn't tried it. It has worked for me way better than I ever could have hoped.

Hey gang,

Since getting addicted to nasal rinsing back in November '10, I've been around quite a few sick people at home and at work....but I've yet to get any symptoms of cold or flu. I work in pretty close quarters up here in the Ivory Tower and several of my co-workers have been out sick. I guess some addictions can actually be good for you. Now where did I leave that stash of chocolate?

Once upon a midnight dreary... a few months ago and way past midnight actually I woke up with a hellacious headache. I've had a cold for a few days and my nose was stuffed solid. Fumbling around the apartment for a solution I remembered reading about nasal irrigation / neti pots. So I made one out of a ketchup plastic bottle (never actually filled) and a replacement earphone silicone thingie press fit at the snout for a nice fit up the ol' sniffer; some water and salt measured with the MKI eyeball and I was ready to tackle the source of the pain.
It took a few tries to get the salt water to begin to get through the Hoover dam of snot I seemed to had developed in my sinuses; but after a while I began to feel things loosing up in there and soon enough I was exnorting satisfyingly large amounts of mucus. The pain relief was nearly instant.

This thread is a good reminder, I should rinse my nose regularly; Bangkok's smog makes my nose feel dirty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom