Shore dive-The Jacks:9/10 @9AM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't bother. No visability. Renee came out with her students- Trish & Valter- & we did some swimming & snorkling for their skills tests-they did great, BTW! Renee & I were thinking of doing a dive afterward but decided it was pointless.

Hi Marvel,

Just wanted to say hello and Thanks for yesterday! It was nice to meet you...and hope that one day soon we will be able to dive with you.

Thanks Again
Tricia

Marvel:
Don't bother. No visability. Renee came out with her students- Trish & Valter- & we did some swimming & snorkling for their skills tests-they did great, BTW! Renee & I were thinking of doing a dive afterward but decided it was pointless.

Jacks dive report ..... current was moving N->S. Spent most of the dive just looking for the jacks ... never found em ... even after passing the two on the shoreline .... gave up shortly thereafter and drifted back to our starting place just north of the pier in under 5 minutes. Vis near shore was barely 2 ft, offshore in 15 ft depth I could barely make out my bubblewatcher on the surface and she couldn't see me at all.

Joe and I made it to the jacks, but wondered why we didnt see anybody else. The current was ripping on the bottom too, so the thought of escaping the surface current was moot. We did see a bunch of checkered puffers. A good guestimate would be in the neighborhood of at least 200! They were partially buried in the sand in the pockets between the rubblely reef. When we came upon them, they would shoot out of the sand and head off into the distance. We would see 5-8 of them in each pocket of sand. Never seen anything like it before!
Also saw a couple small nurse sharks hiding under the ledges. Jack had never seen a shark before, so when I gave him the shark hand sign, he had no idea what I was saying! LOL.
On the jacks, Joe and I found a much larger one. I would guess at 6-7 ft. Nice size! Vis was much better on the South side, and at one time we were on the north, but kept getting blown into the jacks so we hunkered down on the south. Also saw a couple nice size scrawled file fish, and two trumpet fish that were actually swimming!
Of course the dive was awesome. It was also a good work out! Nice meeting Jack and Mary who stopped by and dove with us also. maybe next time the current wont be so bad, and the vis a bit better. But hey! We did get to dive!

Scuba_Jenny:
Joe and I made it to the jacks, but wondered why we didnt see anybody else.
Hmmm... lost another one eh?

Scuba_Jenny:
Joe and I made it to the jacks, but wondered why we didnt see anybody else. The current was ripping on the bottom too, so the thought of escaping the surface current was moot.

It was a good dive for me since i saw a juvenile turtle. I got a good workout on the surface (why join a gym) for about an hour and found my kicking power was equal to the current.....
seemed my underwater effort was about the same.
Did see a really nice shell covered sea biscuit ( a favorite find for me) and a coupla sting rays. The nurse shark was cool.
When I do this dive again I will get to the Jacks, maybe in three feet of water.....then swim due east .....I have much more power on land than in the currents. Had a great time diving in spite of the currents....learned a number of new lessons and can't wait to go for the Jacks again....
Thankfully not there in the evening when the boat drove over the snorkler........
More lessons learned in this transient life we have. Blessings to his family and friends.
Can't wait to do the Jacks for real......
Mary

Scuba_Jenny:
Joe and I made it to the jacks, but wondered why we didnt see anybody else. The current was ripping on the bottom too, so the thought of escaping the surface current was moot. We did see a bunch of checkered puffers. A good guestimate would be in the neighborhood of at least 200! They were partially buried in the sand in the pockets between the rubblely reef. When we came upon them, they would shoot out of the sand and head off into the distance. We would see 5-8 of them in each pocket of sand. Never seen anything like it before!
Also saw a couple small nurse sharks hiding under the ledges. Jack had never seen a shark before, so when I gave him the shark hand sign, he had no idea what I was saying! LOL.
On the jacks, Joe and I found a much larger one. I would guess at 6-7 ft. Nice size! Vis was much better on the South side, and at one time we were on the north, but kept getting blown into the jacks so we hunkered down on the south. Also saw a couple nice size scrawled file fish, and two trumpet fish that were actually swimming!
Of course the dive was awesome. It was also a good work out! Nice meeting Jack and Mary who stopped by and dove with us also. maybe next time the current wont be so bad, and the vis a bit better. But hey! We did get to dive!

Mary and I had a real challenge keeping up with these hardcore conchs. This is the first time I ever came home with a sunburn face and raw toes from so much surface swimming. When Jenny gave my the "shark fin" hand signal, my eyes gave her a "what's up" look and started trying to remember what page that mysterious hand signal was on. LOL is right. I almost swollowed my reg LOL when I realized what she was telling me.

Some measure the quality of a dive by bottom time or depth. I like to consider the camaraderie of the group and the lessons learned. By those factors, I rate Saturday morning as excellent!

Thanks to all for the great time.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom