Shore dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've been advised to re-post here. Am looking at shore diving in the area of Wrightsville Beach (Masonboro Inlet?), and Carolina/Kure Beaches (wrecks real close to shore-- visible some at low tide?). Any advice is appreciated--like-parking, distance from car to entry, currents, tides, viz, depths. I'll be in Myrtle Beach most of Feb. and all of March & may take a trip up there, if anyone is interested in buddying up. I am a shell collector. I have checked into charters and may do that as well. Coastal scuba of SC and Aquatic Safaris of Wrightsville seem pretty good, though the 8 AM departures by Aquatic Safaris kind of pushes my limit as far as driving up there real early. Any other charters/boats closer to SC border.Am "almost" a DM. Thanks in advance.

There is a Jetty on the South End of wrightsville beach that is an easy walk in dive.
There are also two or three civil war era wrecks right off of Carolina Beach that are easy walk in dives.

The Jetty at wrightsville beach generally has clear enough water for at least ten feet of viz. Ive seen it as good as 100 in early spring.

Carolina Beach is more of a crap shoot on the beach. Although spring is best for clearer water. Carolina Beach inlet is to the North and the water that comes out of it is murkey durig the falling tide which makes for poor vis.
You might also try and give Cape Fear Divers a call. David is out of Carolina Beach. I dont think he has to many trips going out right now but might know of a few people that do smaller charters out of CB for spearfishing and wreck dives.

Ryan Y, Thanks for the input.

Friend,

You're like visiting the Mecca of wreck diving in the United States all the way from Canada and you want to dive the beach? That's like dropping in on Paris and eating at McDonalds.

Live a little....

:D

I agree with Drew.

Also, put Express Scuba on your list. There is only 30 miles between the Coastal dive store and the Express dive store

Topside view of the "Scuba Express" dive boat. Approximately 45 feet long. Duel diesel engines. Second story bridge. Lot of railing. Duel ladders (fins off). Rear dive platform. Cooler. Water. Head. Pilot house. Unique tank holders (no bungies). Spear fishing allowed. Bow flat deck for lounging. Helpful dive masters. Excellent operation overall.

Express Water Sports Dive Shop

Friend,

You're like visiting the Mecca of wreck diving in the United States all the way from Canada and you want to dive the beach? That's like dropping in on Paris and eating at McDonalds.

Live a little....

:D

Yeah, I plan to do a charter or 2, but we're down there almost 2 months, and I want to do a little more than 4 boat dives. Only have $ to live a little, not a lot....

Yeah, I plan to do a charter or 2, but we're down there almost 2 months, and I want to do a little more than 4 boat dives. Only have $ to live a little, not a lot...Amazing you should say MacDonalds. I would actually try to find a Burger King if in Paris, but I'm super weird that way.

You are in luck.... Wrightsville and North Myrtle Beach have fast food restaurants selling gut plugs...

of which I eat also (when I have to). But there are those times where money cannot stand in my way of the very best food on the market. Paris would definitely be one of those times.

Back
Top Bottom