Shore diving and various questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sullivan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Getting ready to go back to GC in mid-May, staying on SMB. We were there in Nov 2011 and never got to dive North due to weather. Since then, we have been nitrox certified and been to Bonaire focusing on shore diving. Hope this trip to do a balance of shore and boat diving. My question is primarily around shore diving – from looking at posts, our shore diving list is: Cobalt Coast, Lighthouse point, Turtle reef, Eden Rock/Devil’s grotto (although have done this).

• What other shore dives are available?
  • Am I correct that Eden Rock and Divers Supply are the only places to rent and take tanks off site?
  • Where are the places that we can do other shore diving? (we loved that flexibility when in Bonaire)
  • Is Babylon a reasonable shore dive? Is it marked from land?
  • On the boat diving side – has anyone done the 3 tank w/ Wall to Wall?
  • Will all dive ops go out from the yacht club that time of year?

Anything else I’m missing?

...My question is primarily around shore diving – from looking at posts, our shore diving list is: Cobalt Coast, Lighthouse point, Turtle reef, Eden Rock/Devil’s grotto (although have done this).

• What other shore dives are available?
Lots. There is a dive shop with shore diving on site at : Sunset House, Don Foster's, Cayman Diving College, and Lobster Pot. There are MANY, MANY places with no dive shop on site but where shore diving is feasible.

• Am I correct that Eden Rock and Divers Supply are the only places to rent and take tanks off site?
Those are certainly the ones that come to mind. YMMV with requests at other locations such as Lighthouse Point. Some operators will do so only if you book boat diving with them.

• Where are the places that we can do other shore diving? (we loved that flexibility when in Bonaire
There are many sites. You can find a few guides scattered around the internet such as this one by Island Marketing which has maps, photos and site descriptions.

• Is Babylon a reasonable shore dive? Is it marked from land?
It certainly is a reasonable shore dive. The wall is maybe 150-200 yards offshore there. No onsite dive shop or other services. No signs mark the location on land. Once you find the right spot the buoys marking the site should be easily visible out in the water.

• On the boat diving side – has anyone done the 3 tank w/ Wall to Wall?
Not personally. I'm sure others might chime in on their operation.

• Will all dive ops go out from the yacht club that time of year?

No, but many will offer North Wall diving, weather depending. Odds are decent that time of year.

I've done the 3 tank trip with Wall to Wall several times. If they offer it, it's worth it. As I recall, the first dive was Babylon, the second, White Stroke Canyon and I don't remember the third. Nice day, good diving and good people. In my opinion, one of the best operators on the island. Babylon is a bit of a swim from shore and is not supported. I prefer to dive by boat with Wall to Wall if they are doing a 3 tanker or alternatively with one of the east end dive ops, Ocean Frontiers. Turtle Reef is a very good shore dive with a dive shop on site as well as a bar/restaurant for after diving. Easy shore access, showers, dip tanks and a very good reef. We dive this site most afternoons and nights when on GC. Cobalt Coast has a very good miniwall shore dive as well if the conditions are good. In May, the weather usually allows North Wall diving which means many of the operators will leave from the yacht club or from Morgan's Harbor.

Lots. There is a dive shop with shore diving on site at : Sunset House, Don Foster's, Cayman Diving College, and Lobster Pot. There are MANY, MANY places with no dive shop on site but where shore diving is feasible.
Thanks for the info Drew. We have done shore diving from the places with on site dive shops. When you say there are many places where shore diving is "feasible" I'm wondering what people's top 3 shore dives would be (outside of dive shop locations) where the diving is easy to access/safe. We're confident divers but some places that are "feasible" may be in more dangerous areas or areas where parking is difficult. Are there sites similar to Bonaire where parking is easy, one feels reasonably safe (not too far traffic/people) and the reef is reasonably close to shore and worth diving.Thanks

Thanks for the info Drew. We have done shore diving from the places with on site dive shops. When you say there are many places where shore diving is "feasible" I'm wondering what people's top 3 shore dives would be (outside of dive shop locations) where the diving is easy to access/safe. We're confident divers but some places that are "feasible" may be in more dangerous areas or areas where parking is difficult. Are there sites similar to Bonaire where parking is easy, one feels reasonably safe (not too far traffic/people) and the reef is reasonably close to shore and worth diving.Thanks

Not spectacular by any means, but Smith Cove fit's the bill as far as easy parking, super easy entry and the reef is close to shore. I honestly haven't dived it in years, so I can't vouch for the current condition of the reef.

One of the things you'll run into is that one person's easy entry and short swim is another's trial by fire. None of the shore dives, except house reefs, are officially marked that I know of. If the swim out to the main wall at Sunset House, Turtle Reef or Cobalt Coast is what you consider close, there are a lot of options that others can address better than I can.

Sites like Sunset, Lighthouse, Turtle Reef Cobalt coast all have a dive shop with tanks, gear rental, showers dip tanks, fresh water and ladder entry. They may not all be the best dives on the island but they sure are the easiest. Smiths is an unsupported sand entry and the dive ain't much. Same goes for Cemetery Reef. I would'nt bother. Babylon, on the other hand, is worth a bit of a shlep.

Babylon beach entrance in across from Rosebud Dr. on Queen's Highway. You can also access McCurley's Wall and Julia's Wall from the same beach. Don't get sucked into the park beach down the street. The barrier reef is tough to breach and the urchins are quite plentiful there. Also, the inshore reefs in this area are breathtaking and un-touched. I could spend an entire week there! Be aware, however, if the winds are from the north, north east or NNE, don't even think about it. The surf needs to be gentle to flat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom