Shore Diving...Cozumel??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone!!

I was looking at staying at El Cid La Ceiba resort as sharky60 mentioned. I will certainly do boat dives, but would luke the option to just jump in whenever ehr bug bites :wink:

Does anyone know about their on-site dive center, Babieca Dive Center??

The on-site dive center is small with fast boat and a great crew. We used Babieca three times now and we are scheduled to dive with them again in March. If you want small crowd, get to the dive spot quick, great divemaster (Luis), and fairly cheep rates, then I would recommend Babieca.

Depending on your skill level, Luis will choose where to go but you can also request. We always have a good time with the shop. If you dive with them, they offer gear rental and if you bring your own gear, then they have lockers available for storage.

We usually dive in the morning and sometime do a shore dive in the afternoon or maybe another dive at night. This would be a good way to stretch your funds since all the shore dives is included. I hope this help. :cool2:

A nice shallow dive is to take your gear and assemble it at the Coral Princess. Leave your bags and towels at the bar and then throw your gear in a taxi and jump in at Puerto Abrigo and drift down the seawall back to the Coral Princess. It's not super dynamic, but there are lots of eels, small fish and sometime squid and octopus. Make sure you have a buoy.

It is not wise to swim out to the off-shore reefs. You can easily run into trouble if the current takes off or if you are pushed out into the open water. Also if you have to surface there is a lot of boat traffic.

Mike,
Where would you jump in at Puerto Abrigo?

I stayed closer to shore, like I mentioned earlier just around the string ray pen next to the blue angel resort. Swam upcurrent for 30 minutes or so, taking a few compass readings, then drifting back towards the lighthouse.
Originally, the plan was to swim out to the "wall", but that was maybe 1/2 mile offshore and after 20 minutes of swimming thru barren sand and current, and being slightly disoriented on my heading, I just gave up and returned toward the shoreline.
I've heard down by the marina the reef is much closer to shore. but you would need to take a taxi or rent a car for that.

Ditto to what rromero2 says. Dove with Babieca on our last 4 trips. It would be wise to contact Juan Carlos manager of Babieca at jcgonzalez@elcid.com.mx At times being a small op the boat fills up fast.

Yes you have to make reservation. I made reservation in October for six days diving. When we arrived for our dive, they said the boat was full and we needed to go to the afternoon dive. I had them double check the reservation, they found it, and were moved to the morning dive. That reminds me, I need to make my reservation for March, almost forgot.

Hey LA Diver, when are you going back to El Cid to dive? :crafty:

Wife going back in May. Don't know if I will be making this trip, that is a busy time for me. We just returned from one week in Coz and one week in Playa. She wil be diving with Louis. We brought a bag of Jolly Rancher candy that was a big hit on the boat. Boat crew and other divers relly appreciated the candy. Louis and Rapheal ,boat captain, told us to bring them a bag on our next trip.

On the NW side of Puerto Abrigo is a road that goes right down to the water at the harbor's entrance. You can get in there. Even though it's a marina there is not a whole lot of boat traffic. Just evaluate the boat situation when you get down there and when it's clear get in and get around the corner to the North and then just drift North down the seawall.

FYI: That seawall is great little place to snorkel as well.

Mike,
Where would you jump in at Puerto Abrigo?

I'll show you a great dive near there, Judy. Very shallow but blows-your-mind nice -- requires a long time in the cold water, though. The entry with dive gear is a little tricky -- need to work on that a bit more. Superb snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom