Shore diving in bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to depend on identifying a unique formation at the lip of the dropoff, either sponge or coral. That was not always reliable. On my last trip, another diver gave me a 15' length of 2" wide yellow plastic caution tape. Add a 5' length of cave line to one end and a float (fishing cork) to the other and you are in business. Much easier to recognize than most natural formations and no more of an environmental problem than the issued lionfish markers.

Sure you can always surface to spot your exit target. Watch out for the kite boarders!!!! I don't like to surface until the water is too shallow for such traffic.

I would be more interested in how many dives you have and if you will have a dive partner to give an adequate answer to "how hard it would be to go unguided in bonaire?" Its always nice to have a someone who has been to show you the ropes so to speak...!

I have Been to Bonaire and can be available if you would like to hire me to be your guide (retainer fee includes airfare, lodging and food) :D

After 35 replies to such a simple issue, maybe it's time to say, if you really can't figure out how to dive Bonaire's shore dives, maybe you aren't ready to dive Bonaire. I don't mean to say that because Lwangs keeps asking these questions means he shouldn't dive Bonaire, more to say that the reality of doing it is easier then all the trepidation and if you actually do have trouble with it, then that's a pretty good indication you probably are diving beyond your abilities. Navigation for simple back and forth lateral diving the shore line shouldn't be that hard.

After 35 replies to such a simple issue, maybe it's time to say, if you really can't figure out how to dive Bonaire's shore dives, maybe you aren't ready to dive Bonaire. I don't mean to say that because Lwangs keeps asking these questions means he shouldn't dive Bonaire, more to say that the reality of doing it is easier then all the trepidation and if you actually do have trouble with it, then that's a pretty good indication you probably are diving beyond your abilities. Navigation for simple back and forth lateral diving the shore line shouldn't be that hard.
I only respond because I somebody comes back with a new scenario different from others. The initial suggestions was always come back to the buoy, which is simple enough, except for night dives (which strobe could easily resolve). Then the new discussion of buoy too far out to be of any use, so it comes down to remembering landmarks. It will likely be no where nearly as hard as imagined (besides the night dive), given that I did alot more complicated dives that required alot more other skillset, but almost all tested my other abilities besides navigation. Being immersed in photographing critters and going after the big pelagic ones that swims by frequently takes me way off course, but I guess Bonaire would be the hardest place to lose one's bearings in any of those situations (besides walls, but then, you can drop 50 ft going after something.)

I don't think you'll have any problems at all. You're more prepared then the majority of people who go there and just wing it, you've gotten 3-4 different scenarios to try out and apply on your dives. I bet you report back a great trip and some good ideas for others about the diving methodology you ended up using. It's all good, just remember the most important thing, if the water is getting deeper you're going the wrong way, if you keep that in mind you'll eventually end back up on shore. :D

Lwang - I've never found the buoys 'too far' out. Southern sites they are further from shore, but nothing that should stress a relatively fit individual. Keep in mind USUALLY flat seas, little to no current. It's like diving in a bath tub! I admit my first time to Bonaire and shore diving I had all the same questions and trepidations. Lucky for me, my dive buddy had already been maybe 7-8 times and has 10 more years diving experience. Now I've adopted his mantra that 'Bonaire is the easiest diving in the world'. Even while critter chasing and taking pics you will be hard pressed to lose your bearings - you aren't diving patch coral reef surrounded by blue water. The only exceptions I can think of would be heading over the double reef at the southern end (there the second reef is deeper and you do need good nav skills), or getting turned around in the shallows while taking pics 360 degrees around a coral head or sand bottom (East Side diving excluded, I've no experience there). In the latter case, use references such as current, sand ripples or pop up to take a heading. Plus most of those sites, if you overshoot your exit you can course adjust, look for the next site or try to get out someplace other then your entry. You can get really close to shoreline without being battered by wave action or strong currents and scope out a do-able exit. Check out this you tube video Bonaire Shore Diving Getting Ready - YouTube - a decent perspective of a site south of airport, north of salt pier. Easy peasy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom