Shore Diving Location Destinations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoCoView Resort, Roatan.....

I have tons of videos and photos on my website listed under my signature.
...........Our 1st trip to Roatan in '94 before we bought, we stayed @ Fantasy IslandFor those that don't know, FI & CCVR are next to each other).......Each nite, my 2 boys & myself dove the wreck(PA) & the broken up airplane.........By nite 6, we knew those suckas like the back of our hands-----PLEASE, no more PA & airplane for me..

...........Our 1st trip to Roatan in '94 before we bought, we stayed @ Fantasy IslandFor those that don't know, FI & CCVR are next to each other).......Each nite, my 2 boys & myself dove the wreck(PA) & the broken up airplane.........By nite 6, we knew those suckas like the back of our hands-----PLEASE, no more PA & airplane for me..

CCV and FIBR are just across the channel, yet worlds apart.

When I'm at CCV, I am stopping at the intact upright wreck five times a day. Just depends on what grabs ya'. I like little Crabs, I like the sea life (of all sizes) that such a prominent and shallow (45fsw) structure attracts. I've seen Atlantic Mantas, resident "fish balls", 4' Groupers, the resident 7' Moray, Basket Stars, Squid, Octos, that wreck is teeming with life. I have seen a Whale Shark and a Hammerhead, both within shore dive range from CCV.

The DC3 was a botch job placed by FIBR where the tides were forewarned to destroy it, which they did. There are two huge resident Caribbean Anemones, one on the port lower fuselage, one in the starboard engine mount. Living within these Anemine are three substrate levels of Crustaceans. One is a white and brown Coeaner Shrimp, the other two are little colorful crabs that lurk under the bottom of the Anemone. A lot of people look at them, once they get past the torn-up airframe, but very few divers see.

You do have to see it as you look at it, and a good DM can teach that skill.

The Fantasy Island shore dive is nice and easy. The put tanks out on the gazebo and you jump in. Bonaire is dozens of shore dives from challenging to easy. I prefer diving from the resorts, as the shore entries are quite rocky.

Thanks! for all your opinions, ideas, and suggestions. :D. You have provided some additional "food for thought". :D Planning (when you live in frozen MN & the winters are too long) is half the fun. :D

If you are drysuit certified and do not mind cold water then I would recommend Gloucester (Cape Ann) in MA. I did a couple of shore dives and was pleasantly surprised. Another shore diving paradise that I intend to explore soon is Eastport ME (Passamaquoddy Bay) / Deer Island area. This is split between USA and Canada so in order to dive both places you would need a passport to cross over to the Canadian side. I have been told that this is among the best shore dives in the world and the book "50 PLACES TO DIVE BEFORE YOU DIE" also ranks it in its listing.

Drysuit needed.

IMO South Florida has some of the best shore dives. You can swim out to the first reef which about 100 yards out and is less than 20 feet deep.

I suggest Pompano Beach or Lauderdale by the Sea (LBS). The people are great, the food is superb, there are great dive shops all over the place.

Not sure when you are planning but the weather and water is usually warm (at least compared to MN!).

Here's a live webcam of LBS to give you an idea of what to expect. Windjammer Web Cam - Lauderdale-By-The-Sea Beach Cam

If you do choose South Florida, make sure you let me know. I'd be happy to fill you in on the best times to come here and other stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom