Should C-Cards Expire?

Should C-Cards expire or require yearly instruction?

• Yes, the cards should have an expiration date and divers should have to take a course again.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • No, but divers should be required to demonstrate competency to an instructor every year or two.

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • No, it's fine the way it is.

Votes: 65 51.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard of and seen shops that are requiring divers to take a refresher.

Sorry about posting this again. I know many real and old divers like it,..other non divers like our AZ friends don't. I lived in Yuma for 4 years in the military and Phoenix twice for a year at a time. Real divers do not live in the middle of a desert! The administrator only allows posts to be edited now for 60 minutes after posting,..and I wanted to add a few things.

If a person ends up in the emergency room on a drug over dose,...and the doc asks what he took..If the person says,..only 3 aspirin,.....should I care what happens to him.

If a person jumps in the water tens years after certification with only his certification dives under his belt ,...should I care what happens to him?

The BAR association forbids lawyers to have sex with their clients,..why?

Too prevent the clients for being charged twice for basically the same service.

We can micro manage the c-card a little further.

I remember when there was a scuba cert and OW cert. The OW required actual ocean, open water that kind of hurt, stopping money from coming in. People did not want to get certified at a local shop if they were going on a tropical vacation and could not use that cert,..it would be a waste of money!! So that idea kind of went away,..now people are certified in deep pools, fish tanks and catfish junction ponds,...then they can jump on a rig tender in the Gulf, go 20 miles off shore and jump in 100'.,...but their c-card should expire.

So now c-cards expire.......................why.....why not???

The dive industry has given you plenty of time to do it volunterely with paying for a refresher. The diving public does not want it,..too bad....they need to support their local LDS hobby shop. So now we will make it mandatory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are introducing legislation,...starting in California. When you renew your driver's license or are pulled over,..you will be asked for your current registration, insurance and C-CARD. To ensure that this happens there will be a new scuba tax on all dive gear, charters and air fills.

We have not decided what the renew course will cost,...one thing is for sure. We are not giving it away like we did the open water. You have a great investment and love diving,...we own you,..you will pay whatever we demand!!!!!!!

Back in catfish junction, there is snow on the ground and quarry is frozen, so normally they would do their renew cert in the pool,..it is being cleaned. That's ok,...the standards will allow deviation so not to allow a delay of money coming in during the slow winter times,....classroom simulation will be accepted!

Most boats in Florida require to see a c-card and list the last three dives on the liability waiver. So you will list three catfish junction dives and beside put a small cs for (Classroom Simulation)

So lets make more money,....you are climbing on a boat in Florida, so lets see your boat specialty cert,.....You have one from catfish junction that is normally done on a pantoon boat on glass water,..but they lost the boat keys so you simulate it from a dock. That should be close enough for a 50' rig tender, 20 miles off shore bobbing in seas,.. we'll give you some tips on that 15' giant stride jump off the boat. I forgot to give the tips once,...the guy jumped into the water with a 3mm suit and his great lakes 40lb weight belt. It was ok though,..do to his rapid descent,..he picked much more bottom time.

Your in Florida and there is a 40 degree difference in water temp from CA, so you will need a Florida scuba specialty cert.

It is Manatee season so you will need to show me your Manatee awareness cert.

We will be diving over 60' so you will have to show me your deep diver cert, and rent a pony bottle and computer.

I see you have put down that you are a smoker,...we have determined that regular air is not good enough for smokers,...you will have to rent NITROX gear,...your NITROX cert please.

Are taking that camera,......we found an article where a diver held his breath taking a picture 20 years ago,...you will need a Underwater photo cert.

You want that mask strap,..I will need to see your Equipment specialty cert,..or I can sell you a very nice backup mask.

It was just reported that the vis is only 15',...you will need to show me your night/low vis cert. and rent primary and backup lights.

Also PADI has just decided to make Rescue diver certs expire annually like DM and instructors. All you have to do for this is take a annual medic first aid, cpr, O2, NITROX class at $75 ea. We have determined that we would like to get an additional $150 for the class,..we will be requiring two additional certs for the rescue. We have not decided what they are yet, so we will call them ABC & DEF and you will need to send PADI $200, You are now required to pay PADI an annual Member fee like DM's and instructors to be part of their organization. Along with your application, you will need to send proof of your $500 a year rescue liability insurance in the event you actually attempt to rescue someone. One more thing,..you still need to renew your OW cert. the rescue will not cover it. It is really just a classroom, paddle/tow someone in the pool and drag someone out of the water cert. We do not get into the things you reaaly need to review,..like putting on fins oor clearing your mask.

OK that almost does it,..you have met all of the requirements for you first dive,..let's move on to the second. It is a spearfish dive on Black Bart a old tug,

Wreck diver cert please

PADI speargun safety course please

Under water hunter please

Florida spearfishing regulation course card please

Fishing license please.

Zillion dollar liability in case you spear someone insurance please.

Now I have good news and bad news

The bad news,..the boat left 20 min ago.

Good news,...I can give you a Equipment specialty course while they are out and you can take the afternoon boat.

We are taking a pole,..can you think of any reasons why people do not want to support their local LDS, and declining interest or should I say ability to afford to learn to dive?

We are not in Utah? No I am talking about Local Dive Shops,..not Ladder Day Saints,...then again we are both just after the money!!

We went to Hawaii on June. I had not been diving in about 2 years. Prior to that, I had over 300 dives.

I went to a local LDS and paid $65 for the Scuba Tune-Up. Was it worth it? Yes. I got to spend about 1 1/2 hours in the pool with an instructor, knocking the rust off my skills. I wasn't as rusty as I thought I would be, and since I was a DM, he went over Rescue skills also.

When I went diving in Oahu, I was much more at ease than I would have been not taking the tune-up.

There are too many variables and situations in diving, especially for those who do not do it often, that can cost your life.

A review of the log book for last dive and a quick refresher is a great idea. Not a cash-cow mind you, but something quick and easy in the pool that helps everyone feel at ease.

I have seen people come in for a specialty that have not dived in 6 months or more that don't remember how to setup gear, giant-stride, mask clear, etc.

The problem is that people are who they are.

The safer divers will be safer because they make the effort to study and practice. Unsafe divers don't.

Requiring an update won't make the safer diver any better because she (or he) is doing her own updating already.
The unsafe dive will fake it or just buy a new card and still be unsafe.

BTW we are preaching to the choir here.
If a diver is on this board then they are almost certainly in the safer diver list. We can all learn more every day.

Notice I don't use the term "safe diver" because there is no such thing. There is risk in diving that cannot be removed. What we can do is learn and practice so that the risks get smaller all the time and WE KNOW WHAT RISKS WE ARE TAKING.

Do what you want, but know what you do!

We are not in Utah? No I am talking about Local Dive Shops,..not Ladder Day Saints,...then again we are both just after the money!!

That's "Latter Day", but I walked under a ladder last week - does that mean I get 7 years of bad luck?

Oh damn - I didn't pay my bad luck scuba tax! So my reg will explode this morning at 110'? :)

(Good thing I've got my pony with me, eh? :))

Kris, too bad you're not here this morning - we're heading out the door right now to go do what we talk about here... DIVE DIVE DIVE! :)

keep scuba certs the way they r!

in aviation the recurrent training is mandated by faa(us govt) we do not want that in a sporting activity such as diving.

pilots flying "parts of fars" ( federal air regulations) need to be held accountable since they carry folks for hire and their screw ups will endanger the lives of others.

in diving you may endanger the life of your buddy and that is the limit of it. DO NOT DIVE WITH A FOOL MORE THAN ONCE. find a good buddy and stick with him/her.

btw: good dive buddies are few and far between!

if you have not been wet for a while dust your gear and skills off in a pool...not a 150fsw dive!

I think the real question here should be " To what extint will we have to reach before people realize that the world has been child-proofed enough? If someone is certified, and doesn't have enough common-sense to know that they are too rusty to dive after being out of diving for a couple of years, then their not going to learn anything to begin with. Teaching them a second time is merely in vain. I got out of sky-diving because of all these ridiculous rules, and fees that where imposed. My suggestion would be for divers who are that incompetent to become adults, stop depending on the system, and others to protect you, gain a bit of common-sense, or get out of diving all together. Scuba-diving is not a sport for people with no common-sense. I've seen alot of divers out there who are simply accidents looking for a place to happen. I believe alot of this is attributed to alot of peoples inability to learn, or think for themselves. Alot of them get pushed through courses because they have a few hundred buck to spend. It's a sad truth, and greed usually does this to a society. More money, and more child-proofing will never be the answer. Less greed, more common-sense, and more competent educators would likely be more realistic. The world has been child-proofed enough in my opinion.

"Splash"

:mean:

Depends on who issued the card.

Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom