Should I carry a backup computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
That makes absolutely no sense. Please explain your logic.

In the end, if I'm diving and I have 2 computers, and my primary one fails, I'm thumbing the dive. There was an equipment malfunction, so I'm done.

Scubastud16:
In the end, if I'm diving and I have 2 computers, and my primary one fails, I'm thumbing the dive. There was an equipment malfunction, so I'm done.

I don't understand WHY because you didn't explain the thought process behind your policy of using a redundant computer and then ignoring it. :huh:

Damselfish............here's a pic of one(a damselfish) from a couple weeks ago on Bloody Bay Wall, Little Cayman.....
IMG_1224001.jpg

TheRedHead:
I don't understand WHY because you didn't explain the thought process behind your policy of using a redundant computer and then ignoring it. :huh:

I don't use a redundant computer, and if I did have one, I would only follow it for my safety stop and ascent after the first one failed, because it was an equipment malfunction, and the dive would be done for me :D

Scubastud16:
I don't use a redundant computer, and if I did have one, I would only follow it for my safety stop and ascent after the first one failed, because it was an equipment malfunction, and the dive would be done for me :D

Which brings up this point, how many here have dove without a computer???...Possibly some don't feel comfortable without one but I'm the opposite, have over 900 dives without one(ALTHOUGH every dive with one--up to 40+ now since getting one late last year--I'm using it more)..........I was, for a while, like a person who had never tasted ice cream before, didn't miss it cuz I never tasted it......

Scubastud16:
You keep repeating that you would abort the dive if one of your two computers failed. Your logic, apparently, is that any equipment failure, no matter how trivial or unrelated to your safety, requires you to abort the dive. Does that make sense?

BSK:
So I had been shopping over the last couple of weeks to get a complete set of gear together for me and my step dad so we don't have to rent equipment that often.

One of the steals that I got was an Oceanic Prodigy Imperial Dive computer which had 4 dives logged on it with a ton of other stuff including fins, bag, tusa mask, boots, 2 gauges with compass and one set of 1st and 2nd stage regulator.

Since the Oceanic is not nitrox capable and we plan on diving with nitrox while in FL we got some Dacor Darwins the other day.

I did replace the battery in Prodigy and regreased the o-ring and took it diving with me at the local quarry, works like a charm and has the same info as the other computers that we were using that day.

Question now is:

Should I keep the Prodigy as a backup air computer incase the Dacor Darwin fails me (doubt it) or gets somehow lost damaged while underwater?
I would need to buy a wrist or hose boot to get the thing mounted to the gear somehow. I did have it with me inside the BCD pocket which was velcroed closed.

What does everyone think?
I do most of my dives on liveaboards. I always carry a backup computer. It is not to save the dive I am on, in the event of primary computer failure, it is to save the 4 dives I have planned for the next day.

diver 85:
No, a waste of money...........Just go to plan B, dive tables.........

If/When you blow the tables do you quit diving? What I am getting at is if you do a dive to 100 ft then come up slow to 20 feet and spend 35 minutes looking at fish so you Bt is 65 minutes. Then the next dive do the same to say 80 feet then 20 for 30 minutes 62 minutes BT. Your computer dies on the 3rd dive so you back it up with tables???

vladimir:
You keep repeating that you would abort the dive if one of your two computers failed. Your logic, apparently, is that any equipment failure, no matter how trivial or unrelated to your safety, requires you to abort the dive. Does that make sense?

Last time I checked, a computer failure would not be considered "trivial." On the other hand though, you bet I'd thumb the dive if my slate broke :shakehead:

I have been diving without a computer, with a non-air inegrated, and with an air integrated computer.

Scubastud16:
Last time I checked, a computer failure would not be considered "trivial." On the other hand though, you bet I'd thumb the dive if my slate broke :shakehead:

I have been diving without a computer, with a non-air inegrated, and with an air integrated computer.
So you're willing to dive without a computer (as am I), but feel that diving with only one is somehow dangerous? No, actually you're ok with diving with one, as long as you start with one. But if you start with two, then diving with only one becomes dangerous. I understand now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom