Should I carry a backup computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vladimir:
but feel that diving with only one is somehow dangerous?

Where does this come from? I never said that, all I've ever been diving with is either A) no computer B) one computer.

My mistake. Why do you abort a dive when one of your two computers fail?

vladimir:
My mistake. Why do you abort a dive when one of your two computers fail?

I have a feeling he's not going to tell us. :shakehead

Scubastud16:
Where does this come from? I never said that, all I've ever been diving with is either A) no computer B) one computer.

I must be getting this wrong. I understand you to be saying that you sometimesl dive with no computer and you sometimes dive with one computer. But if you dove with 2 computers and one were to fail then you would abort the dive because of an equipment failure. Is that correct?:confused:

1_T_Submariner:
If/When you blow the tables do you quit diving? What I am getting at is if you do a dive to 100 ft then come up slow to 20 feet and spend 35 minutes looking at fish so you Bt is 65 minutes. Then the next dive do the same to say 80 feet then 20 for 30 minutes 62 minutes BT. Your computer dies on the 3rd dive so you back it up with tables???
Yes. My plan is indeed to move over to tables, even though my dive profiles are often the 100' 65 minute sort of multilevel dive you describe.

I'll assume that I am starting in pressure group Z on the PADI tables and go from there. Meanwhile, I pop my dead computer out of the console and drop in the backup that has been sitting in the dive bag.

After a day of diving per the tables, with the backup computer just going along for the ride (and providing depth/time info), I'll transition to using the backup computer.

My assumption is that if I've been within NDLs, then I'll be in pressure group Z or less of the PADI table. The only other thing I need to validate is whether the oft ignored W,X, Y, Z rules apply. I've never done very long, shallow dives needed to get into Y or Z and the required 3 hour SI's, so that concern is more theoretical than practical. I do hit W and X on occassion, but when doing that sort of diving I'm already doing the 1 hour SI's that are required by the table.

=====================

So far, in 600 dives, I haven't used my backup computer for anything other than loaning out to other divers whose computer batteries have died (usually wireless computers, but that's a different discussion). Since I don't like to bring uneeded equipment, my spare computer stays in the dive bag until needed.

awap:
I must be getting this wrong. I understand you to be saying that you sometimesl dive with no computer and you sometimes dive with one computer. But if you dove with 2 computers and one were to fail then you would abort the dive because of an equipment failure. Is that correct?:confused:

No, that part is a bit confusing due to my wording. Someone asked about who had possibly never been diving withOUT a computer, and I said that I had.

Ever since shortly after OW, I've been diving with a computer. I did about 10 dives with a non-integrated, everything since has been with an air integrated computer.

If I WAS (and I DON'T) going to dive with two computers, and my main failed, I would abort. My main is air integrated, and if I had a secondary, it wouldn't be (Why? college student..no money for equipment as it is) air integrated. There are other reasons, but that's the easiest. Yes, you should always know where your air level is at, but you can't track it, so the dive is done.

In the end, I don't really have a need for two computers. That's all I wanted to get across to the OP. I have a nice computer as it is, I don't need (nor can I afford) another for back up.

What you are basically saying is that in your case, if what you consider your computer fails your only pressure guage fails, since it's AI. That was a big omission. And doesn't apply to anyone with a non-AI computer or a backup SPG.

MANY PEOPLE DO THE WRONG THING...NEVER NEVER use 2 computers WHY??they are all calibrated diffrent !!! If you have a good consil you dont want to brake up pick up a wrist mount..Keep the factory depth gage ..But make shure its nitrox & air ..Its better to have it -then not to have it!!!
HOPE THIS HELPS SCUBADMIKE@NETZERO.NET

scubadmike:
MANY PEOPLE DO THE WRONG THING...NEVER NEVER use 2 computers

Yawn.

scubadmike:
MANY PEOPLE DO THE WRONG THING...NEVER NEVER use 2 computers WHY??they are all calibrated diffrent !!! If you have a good consil you dont want to brake up pick up a wrist mount..Keep the factory depth gage ..But make shure its nitrox & air ..Its better to have it -then not to have it!!!
HOPE THIS HELPS SCUBADMIKE@NETZERO.NET
I've never heard of a "consil" and I'm pretty "shure" my "brakes" are in my car.

You might not want to post your email address in the clear for the spammers to pick up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom