Should I carry a backup computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Damselfish:
I've never heard of a "consil" and I'm pretty "shure" my "brakes" are in my car.

You might not want to post your email address in the clear for the spammers to pick up.

You can correct the spelling and grammer and it still does not make any "cents". I think he is saying not to use two (different) computers because they have different algorithems. Still not very good, but the best interpretation I could come up with.

when someone looks really sure about their wacky advice sometimes it's just not worth the bother to argue. Opted for fun instead.

Of course, nothing is wrong with diving 2 different computers, one can address any concerns there by simply following the more conservative one as a matter of routine. You might even have 2 "different" computers that follow the same algorithm anyway.

This thread was great. I needed a good laugh. Thanks, ScubaBoard!

For goodness sakes, there's nothing wrong with diving while carrying two computers.

If you have a gear failure and no backup, of course, you should thumb the dive.

If you have a gear failure and 100% of the failed gear has a backup (say, a second computer you have been carrying all day, and are still within the NDLs of each computer, PLUS an analog SPG that still works), there's no reason why you should thumb that dive, or any of the subsequent ones, unless you actually have a gear failure (or suspect one is pending) that leaves you without any backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom