Should I get insurance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DAN has a student diver insurance program the covers the student during their OW class or basic training that is free to the student. The shop or instructor that is insured through DAN signs them up for this coverage and the student can upgrade to a regular membership if they like after they are certified. The student can't sign up on there own for this program only the insured "business". This was something we used to explain to students before online instruction took over the classroom portion of OW.
The OP has already told us that the shop is not insured by DAN and that is not an option.

FYI- You regular health insurance may cover the HBOT (Hyperbaric) treatments but your transportation if needed may not.

Not true for most dive insurance plans.
This highlights the importance of knowing the specifics of your coverage whether it be through your existing medical coverage, credit card or dive insurance. I certainly wouldn't want to have blind faith in the belief that a policy did not have any exclusions.

I got bent in 2000 - 5 chamber rides and 2 nights in the hospital. The bill was over $50,000.00 - Insurance paid it all. I expect that same series of treatments would be $100,000.00 today.

Buy the insurance....

I got bent in 2000 - 5 chamber rides and 2 nights in the hospital. The bill was over $50,000.00 - Insurance paid it all. I expect that same series of treatments would be $100,000.00 today.

Buy the insurance....

Did your medical cover any of it? How about transportation?

The value and importance of dive insurance can not be over stated.

Most health insurance companies will not cover dive related accidents.

And that's not even when (hopefully not!) accident happens in US. Anywhere else you need DAN or other dive specific insurance. Your travel stuff would not cover anything substantial.

We subscribe to DAN Enhanced Family and then get trip insurance per trip. I would rather budget it into the cost of diving & vacations, then to be without coverage when we need it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom