Should there be a minimum experience requirement between courses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
JRK44

JRK44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Should there be a minimum experience requirement between finishing one course and going onto the next?

I have less than 50 dives. I took over a decade out of diving and have only completed c. 10 dives since returning.
Basically I'm starting from scratch again in terms of currency, though obviously basic skills are not an issue.
So I'm a diver with less than 50 logged dives and yet I'm open water, advanced open water, rescue, drysuit and nitrox, and was recently invited to become a divemaster.

On reflection, this approach may help PADI sell courses but, to be frank, does it actually produce good divers?

I propose that there should be a minimum experience requirement between courses.
What do you think?

Well, some argue the courses you've aquiref so far should all be included in the basic open water course you took before beeing "allowed" to dive alone.

Drysuit is included in the basic OW course in a lot of places, as a drysuit is required to dove locally. Nitrox should be the basic recreational divegas - thus we are left with a 30m (?) Depth limit.

Don't worry about it, go diving, be happy. You sound sensible and realise that experience is more important than plastic cards, some of which don't mean very much. The dive business is just that, a business designed to make money, other concerns like producing good divers are secondary. Take what you need/want from diver education and move on. Your invitation to become a Divemaster is an invitation to spend more money.

Should there be a minimum experience requirement between finishing one course and going onto the next?

I have less than 50 dives. I took over a decade out of diving and have only completed c. 10 dives since returning.
Basically I'm starting from scratch again in terms of currency, though obviously basic skills are not an issue.
So I'm a diver with less than 50 logged dives and yet I'm open water, advanced open water, rescue, drysuit and nitrox, and was recently invited to become a divemaster.

On reflection, this approach may help PADI sell courses but, to be frank, does it actually produce good divers?

I propose that there should be a minimum experience requirement between courses.
What do you think?
I think if you want a minimum experience level between training you should go for it.

What do you think?
Define 'good' and I think you will have answered your own question. :)

It's been said countless times in countless ways by those far wiser than myself: certification only means that the diver demonstrated the minimum requirements required to achieve that certification. It has no bearing on whether the diver actually has any depth of knowledge, skill, or is 'good.'

I know I was a danger to myself and other divers when I got turned loose with my PADI OW. I had dangerously inadequate buoyancy control, yet I was able to successfully demonstrate the PADI requirements for OW. Like you, after only a few further dives (maybe 10?) I successfully demonstrated the skills PADI required for AOW and EANx certification. Even when I received those certs, I knew I was not a 'good' diver. Last year I got my Rescue cert, and I can honestly say it was the most fake cert I have received to date. But, when I took the course I had about 400 dives under my belt, and while I will never say 'I'm good' (I'm always learning) I have the experience to say 'that was BS.'

I think most divers would agree with your proposal. I also think most dive agencies would oppose it for obvious reasons. At the end of the day, the agencies are businesses and it is in their interest to have divers get more certifications via their courses.

This is where the instructor (and time) becomes the critical piece of the equation. A 'good' (there's that word again...) instructor should be discussing the student diver's confidence levels and identify where they are struggling and working to address the problems and challenges throughout the certification course. Is that even possible during a resort vacation OW course where the dive operation (and likely the resort) are more invested in the diver having a good experience? Just give the diver their OW so they can have a good time and spend money at the bar later with a happy smile on their face, tip well, and write up a positive online review.

In the end, it is up to the student diver. If you want (and have the finances) to whiz through courses and collect certs like Pokemon, knock yourself out.

What do you think?
LOL. If you had more experience you would not even be asking questions like this. Over and over.

Divers vary a lot as far as experience and "rustiness". In this self-regulated industry one's logic should prevail when deciding to take a new course. Even with your certifications, you have less than 50 dives, so I question why you would be invited to start the DM course. I started it with 158. You most likely should get in some more diving first. If it were not the DM course I don't think this would be as important.

Reactions: L13
LOL. If you had more experience you would not even be asking questions like this. Over and over.
Isn't that his point? He has very little experience.

I think it is great that people pursue a continuum of more advanced/specialized classes and the sooner they do this (under expert, professional supervision) the faster they will acquire competency and presumably this is the safest method to accomplish that goal.

If not, then the classes are weaker than I presume.

For recreational diving courses, there are diving experience requirements that I'd go with whatever they are. For leadership courses, there are experience requirements as well but here I'd at least double the number of dives before going to these courses myself. This is the same advice I'd give to my son or any loved one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom