Should we all strive to be divemasters?

Should we all strive to be a divemaster?

• No reason for it

Votes: 116 68.6%
  • Yes, you'll be a better dive buddy

Votes: 53 31.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbrian:
May I ask what a master diver card will get a diver that a AOW, Stress and Rescue card, and a logbook fulll of dives won't?

A couple of instructors at the dive shop mentioned that I should apply for one, but I don't feel like paying the money for that card when I could use it cover air fills for my diving on a weekend.:)

For most people it would mean exposure to more environments and more instructors. To some people it would get them nothing other than some cards which acknowledge what they already had in skills/experience. It depends what is logged in your log book and what MD certs you choose to take.

The original poster has 2000 dives, more than most instructors. It would be critical for pretty much any class he took to make sure he had an instructor capable of teaching him something with experience.

--Matt

nazgul810:
It's kind of funny that Al posted this. He is now an open water instructor who seems to teach on a regular basis (I don't use the dive store he works at too often since it's in the next town over and the one in town fills my needs more than adequatley).
:) boy you dug that one out didn't you? Old thread. Yes I found that I enjoyed going well past divemaster and instructing students seems to be something I'm good at and enjoy very much.

I use my name, who are you? :wink:

rescue class with real open water exercises and drills (currents, surge, surf) will teach you something about your own skills and in relation to others

I just certified in June, even though I am 53, I am a newby too. I want to qualify AOW and Rescue. I can see the advantages of these. After that I see no need for me to qualify as a Dive Master. I would however, like to get enough dives, I thinK its 1000 logged dives, to qualify for PADI's Master diver card. At the rate that I'm diving right now this will take years to complete.

fmw625:
I just certified in June, even though I am 53, I am a newby too. I want to qualify AOW and Rescue. I can see the advantages of these. After that I see no need for me to qualify as a Dive Master. I would however, like to get enough dives, I thinK its 1000 logged dives, to qualify for PADI's Master diver card. At the rate that I'm diving right now this will take years to complete.
You only need 50 logged dives for PADI Master diver. See http://www.padi.com/english/common/courses/rec/continue/msd.asp

Rather or not to get your master diver cert. is a personal decision that you have to make. What do you plan on doing with your diver education is the question that you should be asking yourself. I am a recreational diver not one that is going to go out to get the highest cert. because frankly speaking I plan on diving at my leisure and for my entertainment. It would be nice to make a living working in SCUBA however, I believe that the money is not there or the kind of money I am used to anyway. It would be a dream job though! A friend of mine owns a dive shop and dives two times a day almost daily taking groups out. I told him what a cool job he responded "it used to be now it is work, a lot of work, I see the same dive spots over and over again" (Oahu, HI). I do not want my diving experience to become a routine and spoil the magical experience of it by becoming to familiar or doing it daily. Make sense?

DM was the best thing I did to make me a better diver. The whole "leading by example" thing makes me stay on top of my skills. If you have no background in dealing with emergency situations the rescue course is a great thing. I took mine with another long time paramedic and the debates we were having about things being taught were so far over the instructors head he just sort of let us run with it.
Why did I get my DM? Becouse I could without having to travel. IDC course coming up in two months I may take also. Maybe I'll run away and run a dive boat for a few months as a paid vacation sometime? Who knows......Education is never a bad thing ya know!

There was a long debate here a while back about the good samaritan laws. They vary by state but if you do your best, your covered. Working is a different issue, then there is libality issues.

I am really enjoying this conversation.

I finished my Advanced Open Water recently, and spoke to my instructor about taking the Rescue Course. I am all for learning ( not for getting certificates) and I learn a lot more about diving as I do more courses.

My instructor suggested I do a lot more dives before doing the Rescue course, because I could do with some extra experience first.

So, I took a Peak Bouyancy performance course, and will probably do a Navigation course too. These can be counted toward DM eventually, plus I'm improving my skills a lot more than I would otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom