Should young divers use computers (split from Which computer thread)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your computer fails during any dive, multi level or not, it's good to know your NDL for the max depth you have been to.

The eRDPml is great, especially for multi level dive planning, but for any planning. Tables are good in that they visually lay out all the max depths and NDLs for them. A general knowledge that your max time at 100 fsw on air is 20 minutes, at 80 ft is 30 mins., etc., without having to look it up anywhere, is important to have.[/QUOT E]

As the newly qualifiedl diver is advised to restrict their diving depth and not do any deco other than safety stops. I've always thought it better they dont buy a computer at that stage. It ensures they dont waste so much money, if their one of the many that give it up. I reckon the general no stop time knowledge we have and value, is more likely to be learnt by people who initially plan their dives and dive their plan without one and is less likely to be learnt by those with a computer. We often say the slice of bread always falls jam side down. Does anyone know what agency teaches new divers wearing drysuits with auto dumps to use suit inflation for buoyancy and start ascents in the horizontal with their left elbow raised to their shoulder and their wrist computer in their face? I dont know who they are but the style is common.

I think this stems from peoples different take on what and how to plan a dive..

If you know the place well and know the depth at which you are diving then fine but often you dont. Maybe the mass of you do often dive the same places but we dont.

We dive our local quarry which can vary from 22ft max to 32ft max depending on the rain.

We find it much easier to just plan our dives using either the rule of 1/3s or call the dive at 700-500psi (depending on depth).

All of my kids have the same computer I have. We use it to log the dives and give us a digital readout on depth. While we dive we can compare the nitrogen loading time with how much air we have and alter on the fly.. There are many times when myself or my wife, because of heavy diving the days prior, would have to raise up in the water column to get into a safer zone so we wouldnt get too much nitrogen loaded. We dive very conservative profiles and feel we are not missing out on anything by doing so.

The tables are easy enough to understand and all my kids did them without issue but I really do see it as an antiquated system. Computers are here and very affordable, why not use them?

If your computer fails during any dive, multi level or not, it's good to know your NDL for the max depth you have been to.

Why if your computer fails you call the dive slowly accend to the surface get back on the boat and do not dive for 24 hours. If staying away from diving for 24 hours is a big deal suggest a cheap backup computer you can pick them up used for 100.00 or so even new they can be as cheap as 250.00.

I would like to point out this is the Basic Scuba forum not the Beginning Diver forum. The thread this thread is split off from concerned a teenager yes, but also a diver of many years. He is over 17 years old and could easily take and pass Rescue and DM in 2 weeks this summer at a number of locations here in the USA.

He paid for his current dive gear by scrapping hull bottoms and has made the decision not to pursue DM at this time because education / athletics are more important to him. We have already talked about how analog gauges, a dive watch and tables is a back-up for a computer malfunction for the many boat dives he has made with rental computers.

Many of the posts here seem more appropriate for the Beginning Divers forum.

Last edited:
I would like to point out this is the Basic Scuba forum not the Beginning Diver forum..... Many of the posts here seem more appropriate for the Beginning Divers forum.

How about the Luddite Divers Forum?:D

I think the feedback a computer provides on ascent rate is extremely useful in helping a new diver learn what a good ascent rate feels like. This is reason enough to buy a computer if you can possibly afford it.

I would like to point out this is the Basic Scuba forum not the Beginning Diver forum.

Word. My mistake.

I have an itchy "promote computers for new divers even though I don't use one myself" finger.

IMHO, my Open Water instruction was completely lacking. That said, the 2 things I got out of it were "always breathe" and what the tables meant. Then I bought a computer, and hope never to use tables again, but I know what the computer is telling me because I learned how to use the tables. I think teaching the tables is an important part of learning how to interpret the computer. And I think new divers need instruction in both. And I thank Scuba Board for being here to fill me in on a lot of what my "training" failed to teach me.

Blackwood, your posts have been surprisingly on topic for a DIR guy; my Basic Scuba Forum comment was certainly not pointed at you. :)

Back
Top Bottom