Shouldn't a couch potato have a better RMV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll stay a lot warmer, need less weight with more fat and less muscle.
1 dm³ of fat weighs only 0.9 kg.
so for every 10 kg of fat you take into the water you will require 1 additional kg of lead to dive.

I think Dan V is correct. I view it like this: a total couch potato may well have a very low SAC if they are calm and don't do much work underwater. A muscular diver may well have a higher basal metabolism and may therefore use more air on a "do nothing" dive.

However, if the athlete and the couch potato are put into a slightly strenuous situation, the potato will be blowing through all kinds of air trying to "do the work", while the athlete may experience a very moderate bump in heart rate and their air consumption may not be elevated a whole lot... again because they are more efficient at doing work.

Another thing I have observed, if an athlete REALLY pushes themselves underwater and swims at maximum potential and does an incredible amount of work... they really can blow through a ton of air pretty fast.

I don't know about RMV... but I know a good DPV will pull around the most obese of divers... if they don't have the big one carrying it down to the water.

Sigh... Not what I was hoping for. Good tip on the rum though!

Like when I had the flawed realization that one could lose weight eating ice cream since the body needed to burn energy to warm all that cold food.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom