Sidemount and helmets in open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ:
Why would you care what others think of your equipment? I dive dry all year with a D12 and sometimes a stage. Even in the local qaurry in mid summer. Fellow divers do laugh at my config, but I could not care less what others think. I have my reasons for doing things my way and that's enough for me.
That is what I meant.
Stages are no problem, even sidemount equipment is accepted everywhere by now.
But a helmet can still cause discussions here to the point that the last words you hear befor submerging are on that topic.

So, more to your question, I haven't seen any open water divers, on the west coast of North America, east coast of North America, Canadian/US lakes and rivers, carribean, Red Sea, Indian Ocean or anywhere else I've dove wear a helmet in open water. I would certainly question its use but if a logical, thought out answer was given that made sense, I'd be fine with it. Just don't shine it into my eyes.
I have been thinking of using a helmet in OW as a light holder, and / or as a camera (GoPro) holder. I have tried it out with lights, and except for the fact that my dive buddy shudders at my geeky appearance, I like it.

Someone of greater physical ability can probably make backmount work, but sidemount is still much easier.
Yet in the picture below you carry 2 tanks which are basically LP120s and a stage.
Do you actually believe this stuff you're trying to tell people here? Don't you get that that doesn't make any sense at all?

why do you need a canister light in a lake? I use a helmet for mounting lights, but that is very much specific to penetration type diving. In open water I see no need for it, and don't bring my canister unless I need the burn time, which is only on cave dives. In ocean diving, I carry a few backup lights and it's good enough

Here in Lake Ontario the visibility can be virtually zero at times and a good, powerful can light can be your only way to signal and maintain team contact.

I have been thinking of using a helmet in OW as a light holder, and / or as a camera (GoPro) holder.
I wouldn't do that. Having the light this close to your eyes gives you tons of backscatter, for your eyes and for you camera. If you are in a cave with gin-clear water it's not a problem but it sucks when the water is not as clear.
I would also tell that to Razor but he has already made his mind up (as always) and no logical argument will change his mind.

@Dhboner
Where do you dive in Lake Ontario?

Your diving: your choice. My diving: my choice. It's not worth a 'fight' and I don't expect you to prove a thing. Obviously, I don't feel compelled to prove a thing, either. :D

I'm not constrained to using only one modality when I dive and I certainly enjoy trying out new toys with an open mind. I dive a Petzl helmet that dates back to when I was a climbing instructor for the BSA. I used to use bungee mounts, but recently opted to add 4 Dive Rite's QRMs. I also dive with their hand mount and can easily mount any of my lights to either the helmet or the the hand mount. I still use bungees on my back up lights just in case they get popped off. I do like the ability to turn the light, which is missing from my Dive Rite set up. I'll probably manage at this point.

I wouldn't do that. Having the light this close to your eyes gives you tons of backscatter, for your eyes and for you camera. If you are in a cave with gin-clear water it's not a problem but it sucks when the water is not as clear.
Maybe you wouldn't and that is fine. I have tried it with lights, and I don't have a problem. (I had to chuckle at Pete's post - I use my Petzl climbing helmet as well. :) ) I understand what you are saying about murky water and the positioning, although there is plenty of backscatter in murky water even with a light on a Goodman handle, if you are moving horizontally, with the light head slightly in front of you. In clear OW at night, the backscatter isn't a particular issue. A bigger issue is 'relearning' - I am used to holding my hand reasonably steady with my light head on the back of the hand, and my head can move. Changing the light to a head-mount requires a different type of control of head position - in some ways easier but in others, harder.

Now, I wouldn't do it with both lights AND a camera, for the reason you mention. But, as a camera holder, it is not altogether different than the GoPro-compatible mask, except it is a little easier to use.

why do you need a canister light in a lake?

Depends on the lake. Back when I first got tech trained, did a lot of deep dives in Lake Washington. The water in that lake eats HID beams for breakfast ... it literally redefined my definition of dark. Anything less than a 21W can light simply wasn't adequate.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you are that worried about it:

Get a GoPro.
Mount it to the front of the helmet.
Get a sticker that says "This is not a helmet, it's a camera mount"
Adhere to the back of your helmet.
Done.

-Chris

I think sometimes people worry too much about what others do or don't do... I guess if you're trying to learn something it's OK but I find that in the diving industry many are concerned about not looking right or doing something and people making fun of them. I wear a diving helmet on my open water dives and rec diving most of the time and I couldn't care less what other people think. Why do I use the diving helmet with lights on it? I just like the extra light especially here in New England where it gets dark at depth quick. Most of my dives even from shore are between 50 to 100+ depth where at 90 feet can be already pitch dark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom