Sidemount HP120s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do any of you dive 120s? What should I look for? Which brands have better bouyancy characteristics? Does anyone want to trade? I am in NC now and travelling up the east coast towards NJ.
I own, and dive, two PST HP120s, And, these are 'vintage' HP120s - 3500 PSI :). I love them for SM, and that came as a surprise, because when I previously dove them as manifolded backmount doubles, I thought they made me foot heavy. In fact, I broke them down from the manifolded configuration, intending to sell them, or maybe use them as BM singles, since I was no longer using them for BM doubles diving. I dove them SM a couple of times with my Nomad, and found that they worked really well- great trim, good buoyancy characteristics with a 5 mm wetsuit and the Nomad. I have used them with a Halcyon Contour as well, and that worked just fine. So, now I probably wouldn't trade them, because they are getting harder to find.
decompression:
On land, they are a beast.
I am not sure I would say they are a 'beast', but the extra length does make carrying them a little more challenging for us short people (I am 5'11"). If I try to carry them with my hands around the valves, as I do with AL80, HP100s, etc., the cylinders are just long enough to tap the ground as I walk along, so I have to shrug my shoulders, which is uncomfortable for longer distances. I simply lift the cylinder up and put it on my shoulder, instead. But, I then make two trips, carrying one cylinder at the time.

P
You might want to consider LP108's instead. Mine are Worthington and so might be hard to find, but I assume others make 108's. Most fills stations aren't going to be able to overfill your LP120's much. I dive lp108's and most often get them filled to 3600 or more. That's 147cuft, or slightly higher.

Fill capabilities are of concern here. How much pressure can your dive shop provide? Also, assuming a fill station can provide 3600psi you only end up with 130cuft in an HP120. If it was an LP108 you'd have 17 more cuft of gas! Furthermore, non tech shops seem to not even notice they are "LP" tanks. You generally at least get an overfill at least to the 3200 mark, even in tropical vacation diver locations.

If your fill station can only provide the more "average" 3200 psi. You're at 128cuft. In an lp108 you'd be at 130cuft. No big difference but more is better, right?

I bought the 108's when I was diving single tank and my sac was FAR higher than it is now. Still, it's a great feeling knowing I've got way more gas than I'll need.

The 8" diameter of LP108's kind of sucks. You get used to it, though. I've never been on a boat where the tank size was more than a minor annoyance.

I had lp108s that I sold. I didn't care for the larger diameter and when moving to sidemount I thought the smaller tanks would be better.
As I mentioned before I can't count on overfills. My experience so far is that I can't get them overfilled. I live in an rv and travel state to state. I don't have a local dive shop so I can't build a relationship with them to get overfills. Most of the time when I go to a shop it's the first time they've met me and they won't overfill because they don't know if I'm a dot inspector.

My my reasoning for 120s is that the diameter is the same as my 85s just a little longer and even if I get a hot fill or underfill I will still have over 100cuft. I rarely get underfills though because I usually leave my tanks to get filled and check them/top them off when I pick them up after they have cooled.

You aren't entirely accurate. LP85's are 7.00 not 7.25 inches in diameter. So real damn close, but you do have to adjust the cam bands. Not sure where you are in NC but you are more than welcome to borrow my HP120's if you want to try them. They are PST120's with the 7/8 necks. I don't use them often, only when I need lots of gas, but they are beautiful in the water. I'm 6'4" with short legs so the length is perfect for me and their buoyancy characteristics are lovely. I'm in Greenville SC if you're travelling back down this way and want to check them out. They are quite heavy underwater when they are full though and the other guys are right, you do get a bit of momentum going and have to flare out pretty good to stop but it's worth it for all of the gas they offer. FWIW I use LP72's for most of my diving because the 120's are way overkill.

I'm 6'7" and 280#. Last week I tried to optimize my trim sidemounting an HP120 as a single with a HOG sidemount bc. .

You managed a single steel in sidemount? How did you arrange your weights to make that work?

---------- Post added July 11th, 2014 at 11:47 AM ----------

but when normally filled they don't have enough air for me. I would like to have a bit more air.
For boat diving I only take the 2 tanks with me and dive both tanks both dives. Because I travel a lot I am having difficulty getting my tanks over filled. The shops don't know me and don't want to do it which is understandable. I think it would be best to just get tanks that I can get filled properly and not have to worry with. Even if 120s were underfilled I would be better off than properly filled 85s

Something to remember: the proper answer for how many tanks to take with you is often 3 not two. Yeah you wil have some extra fiddling to drain one tank more than the other on the first dive, but one of the wonder of sidemount is lost, if we always think in pairs of tanks.

You managed a single steel in sidemount? How did you arrange your weights to make that work?

---------- Post added July 11th, 2014 at 11:47 AM ----------

Something to remember: the proper answer for how many tanks to take with you is often 3 not two. Yeah you wil have some extra fiddling to drain one tank more than the other on the first dive, but one of the wonder of sidemount is lost, if we always think in pairs of tanks.

You know I was thinking about that. My buddy on this boat is diving with 130s and he comes up with a lot of reserve left over compaired to me with 100s. I might see tomorrow if I can rent 1 more tank if the boat isnt too full.

I'm 6'2" 225 lbs and love my Worthington HP130's. I have also dove Worthington HP100's but found I prefer the 130's

I use Faber HP 100's or on occasion HP 117's on side mount. Tried the 80's and didn't like the trim results. I am 5'9" and when I dive I like to breathe, so lots of gas is good!! My BC is a UTD clone and seems to work quite well with the tanks that I like. The switch between the two sizes is minimal, close in buoyancy and with my tank hardware it's no big deal, 7.25" or 8" tank.

I started with Faber FX100s for sidemount, along with a pair of neutral 80s. Both sets trimmed out fine in the normal position. The FX100s were too heavy to unclip and push forward for going through small spaces. I could just barely manage with one tank forward without doing a nose dive. The neutral 80s weren't quite as bad, but we're still too heavy to push both forward.

Since then I've switched to Faber LP steel 85s and Aluminum 72s. Those balance well and their buoyancy swings around neutral. I like the smaller diameter, as they tuck in nicely behind my arms. BTW, I'm not a small guy at 6'-1".

I also have a pair of Faber FX120s, but have never used them for sidemount. They seem too heavy to wrangle out of the water at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom