Silent World Dive Center Key Largo *********

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I stand corrected. I will try Bluewater Divers the next time I am down. What a great idea- drift diving the SG. Did you have to book the whole boat and request that dive plan or was it just how they sometimes do things? Very curious

WPBdiver:
I stand corrected. I will try Bluewater Divers the next time I am down. What a great idea- drift diving the SG. Did you have to book the whole boat and request that dive plan or was it just how they sometimes do things? Very curious

Our group did have the whole boat for two full days, but when I was researching they indicated they would drift dive the Grove before they knew the size of our group. It's a call made during the dive briefing, depending on how crowded it is, what moorings are available, and how the currents are running.

Brent's style is not to mandate how things will be, but rather to give his recommendations of the best choice and get a consensus. We didn't challenge him so I can't say how "firm" those recommendations were.:D

The first day there was another cattle boat tied up at the bow so he suggested we not drift that day or else we'd have a big traffic jam coming up. The next day the site was clear and I could tell he was much more comfortable with us, knowing we knew where the lines were and having seen us dive safely and competently.

It's not a complete drift dive. They moor the boat to one end, you descend the line, drift along the ship, and ascend the line at the other end, where they will now be moored and waiting.

scubabrandon:
I am thinking of staying at the Hungry Pelican because it is so cheap. It look old school though, anyone have any experiences there?

Its a little old school in the since that its a nice relaxed joint :wink: I have been there many times this year, and I have never had a problem. The staff is nice, the place is clean. Each room that I have stayed at so far has a fridge in it, some with microwave, and a tv/vcr. there is a beach out back (bay side) its small, but if you wanted you can snorkle around. They have fishing poles you can borrow for free, or take a canoe or kayyak around, again for free. I have swam around out back serveral times, I have spotted a couple sting rays, horseshoe crabs, tons of yellow tail, needle fish, barracuda, and one night I walked back to see about 5 huge manatees right off the dock.

There are a few good places to eat within walking distance. Snooks is really good, Bayside grill has good stuff. But for the best IMO goto Hobo's Cafe, it's north of the hungry pelican (bay side) they have great lunches and specials. Great after dive spot, grab a brew and have lunch w/ your buddies.

here some Key Largo shots...

p1010069.jpg

from the dock at hungry pelican
p1010052.jpg

behind The Hungry Pelican...

p1010025.jpg

Off "The Lost Continent" Captian Slates boat, South of Cary's Fort..

p1010013.jpg

walking around the hungry pelican..

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom