silly diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillAbbott

Reaction score
Ok heres a kinda goofey question for you. I have this "problem" in my past where I get a new hobby such as muscle cars, or imports, or woodworking, wakeboarding, photography, etc. Well thus far EVERY hobby I've ever had has lasted something like 6months to a year or so and then dies. Typically I spend all the money I have on buying my toys, gear, items needed for it, and go "ape wild" as my parents would say.

I guess my question problem is that SCUBA is something I've wanted to do for as long as I can remember (along with sailing, which hasn't happened yet)

I'm curious partly if anyone has had this past problem with hobbies, passions, etc. and not had it with SCBUA, also if anyone has any ideas, suggestions on how to keep SCUBA from becoming one of these "fads" of mine. I'm tired of burning through hobbies, and I honestly don't know what I could goto next. My mom suggests that I just go slow and don't go "ape wild" as usual, give myself sometime before buying lots of gear and make sure I will stick with it. But at the same time I hate to be renting $40 of gear all the time (she seems to think it won't be a problem, as in they will help/pay for gear rentals, and $40 is nothing)

I think the whole "buddy" system might help a lot, my past hobbies have been lost either because they are "solo" hobbies, or something like wakeboarding where I need a $20,000+ boat and a truck (which I had to sell cause the gas milage killed me) and having buddies who I might find that constantly call and say "hey lets go" might help a lot. I've contemplated the whole "club" thing, and not sure if thats worth while? or not? So far all the divers (not in my class) I've met have been great, helpful people all of which I think I could be good friends with. I think if the club thing is what I should do I will join the one 45mins away (a tad long drive, but only need to go once a month or so, but its in with the LDS I like)

Anyways, just curious if anyone else has ever had similar problem/experiences. What you'd suggest, or what helped you. Looks like we might be having Advance Open Water scheduled right after this class if so I will be in it... Anyways, let me know what you think... I know this is a LONG post and kind of a weird one, but I'm a weird kind of guy :D

A friend of mine liked your post a lot and this is what she has to say to you.....

This is no weird question, I would just like to say " join the club !" . Since I know myself I've start taking lesson of :
ski - 2 months, bought the gear...
ice skating - just about the same
swimming - still can't do more than 2 m

Anyway, one thing that may help you it's not neccesarrily the buddy system but eventually finding a girlfriend/boyfriend that does diving. Otherwise it's pretty difficult explaining why you are dissapearing off shore for several hours. One other suggestion is to get real good friend with ... your diving instructor. Can't get any better than this in continuing your hobby.

....I can't comment on the last suggestion but anyway...let say it's entirely up to you...so take care.

like deja vue. I have a friend that his parents say something similar about--burning through the hobbies. I think one difference with diving is that for most people its a shared activity. I've met some really good people through diving that I would never have met otherwise.

Granted gear rental can get expensive especially if you dive frequently but it sounds like that might be the thing to do for you right now.

Another thing about diving is that it can be much more than just sight seeing. Photography, spear fishing, wreck penetration, cave penetration, fossil hunting, and some folks look for old bottles and collect those. Marine life identification adds interest to reef dives.

I think your Mom is right---take it slow and have some fun along the way.

My husband feels the same as your mom does, when I took my diving classes he was not encouraged for me to purchase my gear. He too, said it will not last you always quit within 6 months to a year whatever you have a fasincation with. I really, did not even listen to him I did what I wanted to and felt was right at the time.

One year and five months later I am still diving one to two dives per week. I am planning my dive trips for next year and still "have the fasination" I enjoy the entire underwater experience, and want more everytime I go. I am addicted and don't see me wanting to stop.

As for purchase of your gear, if you are dependant on someone else to do the buying and renting for you I would go ahead and take it slow. Let your mom know you will stick with it. If you dive weekly renting will add up fast. If it will only be once or twice a year then renting won't be too bad. Personnally I prefer having my own gear that I am familiar with and comfortable with, but I paid for it all myself. Except my tanks which my husband did give me for Christmas. Even he has come around.

Good Luck and I hope you are another convert to the wonderful world of water.

Thanks for the great comments and encouragment. I sincerely hope I stay with it. I've been planing stuff out, to keep me busy with diving, but hopefully not too much to burn me out. I'm hoping my instructor will have Adv. OW right after this one, I'm planing on joining my Sheriffs' Office Dive team (for about 3 reason, 1 get in diving, 2 instantly meet 12 other divers in the area, and 3 gets my name more known with the agency, which is where I want to work after graduating from college), and then possibly joining the club at my LDS (not sure how good a club it is, but I figure they still will have schedualed dives and such that will give me the opportunity to go and meet people)

as for the one comment about finding a Girlfriend who enjoys diving, Sounds GREAT to me :D HAHAHA, I could really go for a girlfriend right about now :wink: Not to sound like I'm complaining or anything, but 22Years old, and only had 1 Girlfriend, and "never been kissed" :embarr: (not that it has anything to do with this topic, and hey I am still young yet and well thats life, when/if it happens it happens, if never, oh well :wink:)

It took me 2 years to really decide that I wanted to get certified, although my situation is a little different from yours. My husband is a diver (certified in '72) and wanted me to learn. I had to decide it was something that I wanted and not do it just because he wanted me to. I got certified in June of this year. I did a few lake dives here, sometimes good viz, sometimes you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. Then I went to dive blue water in Cozumel. And all the low viz and semi low viz practice was worth it. It is an experience/adventure like no other I've ever had in my entire life. Like others have said, go slow until you decide if this is something you really want to do. Chances are, you won't burn out on this new hobby. Good luck

brenda

I prefer to call it "Hobby Recycling." I'm in my early 30's (good lord, how did that happen) and I have been playing guitar for almost 20 years. At one point I had a small recording studio and everything. About the time that I got tired of dealing with all of the stupid band ego-types, I had just gotten into scuba diving. At one point I also played paintball and enjoyed snowboarding. The last thing that I haven't sold yet is the snowboard (and I am trying). Everything else went on ebay and got "recycled." I still have a couple of guitars (I love to play), but with scuba diving, in my area at least, you're not stuck with the same buddy all of the time. There are a few people that I dive with regularly, but the problem with all of my previous hobbies was a sort of monogamy with the people you shared the hobby with. I haven't found it to be the case with diving. Some of my buddies enjoy diving in 4 foot deep creeks for artifacts, others enjoy wrecks and other lakes. I feel extremely fortunate to have such a plethora of available buddies. I've only been diving for six years, but I can't imagine getting board with it. Good luck and take it easy. There is so much to learn, that there's no point in rushing it.

:) I am going to start with a smile because you just described me....... I have done kind of the same through my life, at least with some of the hobbies I have gotten into and the only ones I have kept participating to the must part are either the ones that I deeply love (soccer) or the ones where participation is encouraged by several people all the time (group sports)... While I was in HS and college I was in every school team possible (soccer, football, baseball and almost basketball) and had a very busy schedule with these types of activities plus surfing (which I totally dropped from one day to the other and I was fairly good at it but its a totally different lifestyle).

After that I got into some more relaxed hobbies like piano/guitar which I still do sometimes......... remote control airplanes which I still do sometimes but not as often as in the beginning, cycling (very expensive bikes and gear) and some others but in all I went out and bought a lot of stuff usually very good stuff and although I have not totally discarded any of my hobbies, I did not get the value and use out of all the gear and stuff I bought. Now I try to be more careful about buying the whole package before I am very,very committed.

Now with scuba, its different because I got certified with my wife, we have all our gear so it just a "lets go diving from one day to the other", we live in Florida and we have a group of friends that does diving too and we are all in the same experience range so every outing is 6 or 8 people and I have the group pressure to go out and dive much more constant than if it was just by myself. I love diving so far and enjoy the whole preparation, trip, planning stuff and besides that it gives me another topic to discuss with my wife and friends, plus once in a while you can help as volunteer with different causes and that give back to the earth and the community

I dont remember who recommended for you to get your girlfriend into it but I will corroborate that as a wise decision (if she is willing, dont force her).

regards
ivan

Thanks all for the great replies and support. The GF idea is the best yet :wink: too bad I dont yet have one. I'm thinking after remembering some of the reasons my old hobbies got dropped that this will go alright. My 2 MAIN reasons have allways been 1) No money to participate in the hobby, needing money to actually do it (shouldn't be too bad as my parents have said they will help with gear rental etc.), and 2) never having anyone to do it with, always being a solo hobby and that makes it MUCH LESS fun.

It sounds like I already have my first dive buddy, it turns out our doctor and family friend is a diver (she hasnt been in a little bit and her gear is stored out of state). She was just over last night and said that when she goes back to where her gear is stored for christmas that she will ship her gear out, and then we will be able to dive come spring or something like that. This is pretty good timing for me (I hope) as it looks like we may have Adv. Open Water right after OW so by the time I'm thru with it she will have her stuff out here and Spring will be right around the corner. Only bad things are she hasn't been in a little while and will need a refresher (whether I just help/remind her or she takes a refresher course, which is what I think she should do) and that she is afraid of our cold water, and doesnt want a dry suit (she doesnt like dry suits cause they are "ugglier" LOL) and she pretty much needs to get her a custom fitted Wet Suit.

Anyways, between having her to go with, hopefully having Advance OW next term, Joining the Sheriff's Office Dive team, and probably (I think I am going to join) the dive club thats 45mins away and affiliated with the LDS I like.

Thanks again for the support and comments, I was right about every diver I meet thus far being GREAT people, another reason I think I will stick with this, past hobbies with people have had a HIGH percentage Jerk Factor (Wakeboarding, import cars, etc.)

WillAbbott once bubbled...
I'm tired of burning through hobbies, and I honestly don't know what I could goto next. :D
How about:
fly fishing
panning for gold
bird watching
oil painting
rock hound(ing?)
collecting shoes
cross country skiing
snow shoeing
mountain climbing
lama ranching
camel racing
join The Army
geneology
scrapbooking
bench rest shooting
reloading
fly tying
knitting
coloring UP's boat different colors and posting the results
coin collecting
frisbee golf
making chocolates
spining wool
raising wool
goat ranching
rodeo
custom knife making
scrimshaw
putting this list (and other similar lists) in alpha order
etc.

heck, the list is endless! :wink:

Besides, look at the knowledge to be gained in burning through a lot of hobbies. (A quick note: anyone who has successfully been involved in half of this list, or more, needs to get a spouse or a job or both!)

:jester:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom