Similans or Koh Tao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you think I didn't say the same thing? Of course, when I woke up at 6AM we had been steaming south from Tacchai for hours, so there was nothing to be done.

I remember going up on the deck to get coffee and looking at my compass (have on on my watch band), and getting a knot my stomach. Spent our last day bouncing around the Similans.

But look, I can't really complain that much. I work for the Tao branch of the company, so I paid less than 8000 baht, fees and beer and tip all in. 12 dives for 8000? 20 USD a dive with food, accom, drink, park fees, etc. etc.

I had a great time. I'll go back to Richelieu again. I was lucky enough to dive it 4 times last Feb, so....

...But look, I can't really complain that much. I work for the Tao branch of the company, so I paid less than 8000 baht, fees and beer and tip all in...

If you're working for that Company then it's maybe something you could talk about with the owners/management. Selling a trip with RR on the itinerary and then not diving it because some of the (or most of the) divers on board may not be up to it is just not right.

I personally can think only of two reasons not to dive RR:
- when weather does not allow for safe diving
- when the vessel has engine problems

If you're working for that Company then it's maybe something you could talk about with the owners/management. Selling a trip with RR on the itinerary and then not diving it because some of the (or most of the) divers on board may not be up to it is just not right.

I personally can think only of two reasons not to dive RR:
- when weather does not allow for safe diving
- when the vessel has engine problems

Or lets save some diesel, who cares, we have had their money already.
Maybe that reason is just me being cynical again?

I live on Koh Tao too - both sides have their own reasons for visiting. If I go west coast though its either a liveabaord but more often now Im prefering Koh Lanta as a base to dive from. Its quiet, has lovely beaches and is cheaper than other west coast locations.

It really does depend on the time of year you are going thought...West coast Oct-Feb/March and East coast the exact opposite.

However you could check this out for something, quite literally in the middle and very different!

not to hyjack the site, well hyjack it a little :wink:

It seems clear most like Similans better than Koh Tao. How do you all feel about Similans vs diving off Phuket - Shark Point, Anemone reef, ko dok mai?

Any advice between Similians or Hin Daeng and Hin Muang? I was in Khao Lak last year and did an overnight dive to Similans (awesome). Part of the decision hinges on Khao Lak or Ko Lanta (or a close by island) for a few days. I'm going Dec 11th to 18th. Thanks in advance!

Koh Lanta is a very relaxed place. Its 90% Muslim, so you won't see some of the...more colorful offerings of Thailand. It also makes it a very family friendly places with hordes of German, Nordic and Dutch families spending their extended vacation there, there's even a german and swedish school on the island (how many days off do those guys get?). There is a nightlife, plenty of beach bars and a couple of rather good clubs.

Hin Daeng/Muang are amazing dive sites. I haven't been out to the similans (soon... soon), but the Red and purple rocks are a sight to see. Its not a beginners dive sight though, with the bottom at 60+ meters, potential for strong currents or down currents. You can get there via speed boat from the southern tip of Lanta in about an hour. The big boats from the main port in Saladan on the northern tip takes almost 4 hours. So I would pay the extra for the speedboat, weather permitting. The other main dive sites from Lanta are Koh Ha, Koh/Hin Bida, King Cruiser, all of which is a comfy 2 hour boat trip on a big boat. I'm sure you could hit shark point/anemone reef.

Any advice between Similians or Hin Daeng and Hin Muang? I was in Khao Lak last year and did an overnight dive to Similans (awesome). Part of the decision hinges on Khao Lak or Ko Lanta (or a close by island) for a few days. I'm going Dec 11th to 18th. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for the feedback, Watboy. Do you have any recommendations for places to stay around Lanta that might be a little more Thai and not too touristy, but with good access to the dive sites mentioned above? I'm flying into Krabi on December 11th. Have fun in Similians when you make it there. Really beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom