Simple, back inflate BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are out of production from what I understand but if you can find a Zeagle Scout, it is similar to what you are looking for. It has been my travel BC of choice for some time. It does not have a pocket but adding one is cheap and easy.

For singles I dive a Halcyon BP/W (40# eclipse w/ 6lb ss b-plate, have trim pockets and only 1lb each for total of 8lbs of weight w/ 3mm full suit and steel tanks). Excellent wings. As far as price, the +/- 250.00 is way off base for what you are looking for. You could get "very, very used" but you don't know what you are getting. IMHO - save longer until you can do it right...

I'll do some more research as mentioned above and post back my findings here, but I'd like to make a decision soon since getting the right gear is holding me back from diving regularly (I can't afford to turn the cost of a beach dive into the price of a boat dive).

@VinceDS: You're absolutely right that to do it right, I must make some sacrifices...but how long would you wait to go out and dive if you were on a restricted budget?

I have a Triple-L Orion. $199 on store.triple-l.biz. I have about 35 dives in it from Cozumel to dry suit dives. Great BC, nice trim in the water (very horizontal) while diving, not too bad at the surface if you don't over inflate it. Solid BC, good fit, pretty streamlined. Can't go wrong with it.

undrwater:
I'll do some more research as mentioned above and post back my findings here, but I'd like to make a decision soon since getting the right gear is holding me back from diving regularly (I can't afford to turn the cost of a beach dive into the price of a boat dive).

@VinceDS: You're absolutely right that to do it right, I must make some sacrifices...but how long would you wait to go out and dive if you were on a restricted budget?

Tough call as I love to dive and, for me, budget is not an issue. Was always taught to buy the absolute best you can afford so this is all I can say to you - Buy the best you can afford based on your needs and your future (anticipated) diving needs. Sounds like you already have a bcd that works and are just in the market for a new one. Wait as long as you can and, again, buy based off of your anticipated needs...

OK...here are some of the BC's that seem to provide what I'm looking for:

Dacor Falcon
XS Scuba Advantage
Zeagle Scout (though I can't seem to find it on sale anywhere...)
ScubaL Orion

I do have a BC currently, but it is small, the cumberbund does not close over my 7mm wetsuit, and it does't support the weight of my steel 95 well at all. I won't dive it at the beach...it's too uncomfortable.

I will hold off as long as possible...maybe I can find a buddy in my area who can provide a loaner.

Thanks all for the input!

I've ended up with the Dacor Falcon. I figure I can dive it, and buy pieces of BP/Wing equipment along the way. This way I can dive now...and do it right later! :wink: :D

Back
Top Bottom