Simple W/W harness for AL 80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great comments and I really like to try to keep everything the same as well to reinforce the muscle memory as you have stated.
I also agree that for many reasons personally the Nomad modular system works best.
As Dive-aholic has shared many times no system is perfect and needs to be fitted and adapted to each individual user.
Keep in mind that dive characteristics, environment, lift requirements, etc. are the factors one needs to make appropriate changes.

One thing I have come to like about the Nomad XT wing is the option to bend it over and bungee it down thus decreasing its lift capacity and making it nice and tight "clean".
I have been running a Rec wing that has been modified the same way.
I have about 30lbs of lift average and is plenty for my current level of cave dive experience.
Diving primarily with Faber 85's I trim out very well.
I have carried one AL 80 for a stage with a AL 40 of O2.
Plenty of lift with my DS as a redundant.

If I was in OW then I would release the bungee a bit to increase the lift capacity due to the environmental demands.
I do plan to purchase a XT wing for the rig but have not had a need as of yet.
I am also considering purchasing a new Nomad XT and using my old one as a back up.
My wife is interested in SMing now and it is obvious she is eyeing my rig!
You have to love that! The smaller wing will work great for AL 80's.

I would love to see or hear about any wing additions to the simple harness.
I am familiar with the UTD Z and would imagine that as it evolves more wings with varying lift will become available.
One thing is very certain SM is hitting the mainstream of diving.
Not just Tech or cave divers but many recreational OW divers are getting into the scene.
It is both a little concerning and interesting watching the magazines print stories about the movement.

My one regret is that I have not been able to play with the Armadillo rig but this summer will change that.
It is fun to see how different harnesses are alike and how they are different.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

Just to let you know - the XsScuba 3lbs ankle weights fit but I had to cut the buckles and straps off and they are still a really tight fit. I think I'm going to get some 2lbs and use them instead of 3lbs or open up the end of 3lbs and make then 2 1/2 lbs.

It turns out that you can easily put 4# in each side by placing 2 2# bullet weights end to end in each pouch. I have a couple of XS Scuba weight pockets threaded onto the upper shoulder straps in case I need some weight there to trim out properly, and there is room on the waist belt too, if needed.

Last edited:
Hello Ron are you using AL 80's? Or what tanks are you using?
Just interested in your experience.

CamG

In Mexico it will be Al80s, since that's about all you see there. Here at home it will be Al80s or LP85s, at least with the smaller wing. The upcoming trip to Playa will be my initial dives with the Razor.

That is about where I am at right now with my experimentation.
I have not tried the 85's yet but will do so soon in the pool.
The water is breaking up hear as we speak so soon it will be OW time.
Have fun in Mexico and your report will be anticipated.
Safe diving,

I was curious about your homemade razor harness, what length is your bungee for holding the tank valves (from boltsnap ring to boltsnap ring)?

-- nielsent

Greetings nielsent I used a 48 inch piece of bungee from ACE harware.
I removed the hooks and replaced them with 1 inch quick links.
I then threaded the bungee through the webbing on the top shoulder plate and attached the quick links to my chest d-rings.
It is one piece of bungee with no bolt snaps or rings.
If any thing it is a little tight but not much maybe an inch or two longer wouldn't hurt.

Well spent 1.5 hrs today with Faber LP 85's great tanks!
My tank pressures and buoyancy;
1. Starting LEFT 2900 RIGHT 2700 very negative " unable to control with lungs"
2. LEFT 2000 RIGHT 2000 still - " "
3. LEFT 1500 RIGHT 1500 Able to be neutral with very deep breaths.
4. LEFT 1000 RIGHT 1000 able to maintain neutral buoyancy.

I think the 85's need some lift to be able to dive them safely.
I am not sure if the 20 lbs of lift would cut it for me.

They are as close to perfect with my Nomad and DS as any tank I have ever dove.
I am sticking with the AL 80's the 20 lbs of lift might make a difference there.
I will have to wait for Ron to come back form MX to find out.

Might try some LP 45's they look interesting and my buddy has a set.
Next time in the pool we will see.

Yeah there is no way with steels you are going to get away with no inflation, unless you have a two piece 7 mil and even then i doubt it. that system is fine for 80s but steels i doubt.

May i ask why you making this other harness and why you are not just diving your nomad? Why not mod the nomad to work for steels and al80s(put a weight on the tank) and you are all set. it seems you are just getting into it and the nomad it most likely going to be great for you for years before you get to something so tight that the nomad is to bulky. I want to add a video to my site with my mods but do not have the camera here, maybe I can do it with my iphone. ill try tomorrow.

Actually Anthony I have been working with the Nomad for about 1.5 years and love the way it dives.
I have tried a bunch of different tanks on it but have found my dive characteristics; body size. DS, etc the LP 85's work very well.

My experimentation with the "Razor" clone is just to see what is possible and to try something new at the pool.
It is proving to be a very long winter and I missed my Feb. cave diving trip so I am very dive challenged right now.

As you stated it will work well with AL 80's and I think the tank weight would be the way to go.
I am thinking about 2 - 3 lbs max on each tank.
I have loved working with this in the pool and it has given me the excuse to spend every weekend in the water even if it is only a pool.
I usually start with new gear in a very controlled environment.

Has anyone tried LP steel 45's yet?
Just asking for I will soon it sounds like fun.
Before I would take any rig into OW it has to pass the test.
I have not been diving to long but long enough to make sure it is safe and fits the dive requirements.

I would love to see some pics and will post some of the rig when I get it figured out.

Back
Top Bottom